1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ! Denon 2802 or Onkyo 696 ? Opinions please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by silroc, Jan 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. silroc

silroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am stuck here on which one to purchase ............

I also am sure both choices will be fine for me -

It's just that I dont know as much as I would like about this stiff, and would greatly appreciate expert opinions on which to get and why ?

Thanks

Sil

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    If you can, demo them side by side and go for the one you like the sound of.

Personally, I prefer Denon to Onkyo but thats my personal opinion. I like the sound of the Denons and also their nifty onscreen menu setups, speaker delay etc etc

In the end its down to you.

cheers

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Denons definitely seem to be the flabour of th month at the moment.

Im a proud 3802 owner....

I was going for the 2802 but went for the 'oh sod it' option on the argument that if im prepared to pay £450 for a good amp I might as well pay £600 for a great one.

Regards

Mark

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the difference between the Denon 2802 and the 3802 part from the price?

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are both very good, the sound choice is personal, I prefer the Onkyo.

Now, there are several differences technically, the remote and setup are better on the Onkyo, also I found out, by some posts in this forum, that Denon doesn´t follow the standards as accurately as Onkyo.

On the other hand, the Denon has a variable crossover, and by that alone, I would buy it if I was considering small speakers that won´t respond to at least 70 hz + - 3 db, the KEF eggs for instance...

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get the Denon 3802 for £650?

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbeatable are doing it for £633.96 in black or gold........

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For a comparisson of the 3802 & the 2802 best to check the tech sheets on the Denon Website

As to where I got mine from. I used HiFi Junkies check out their website for the price (currently £662) which includes next day delivery (I think). Their service was excellent but i'd order over the phone from them rather than over the net (you still pay the same price)

I use Kef KHT2001 speakers cause I wanted a good sound but didnt want speakers to dominate my lounge. The Kef met both those critera for me.

As others have pointed out the Denon has a variable crossover (you can set the frequency below which the signal is diverted to the sub).

Im NO EXPERT in this matter but I spent the whole of november what amp/speakers I was going to buy with my £500 and ended up with the Denon 3802 & Kef KHT2001+Sub for £1300

Im not telling you this is the best but its what I like, suited my requirements and also all my friends that hear them are WELL IMPRESSED.

I've been told the remote on the 3802 is a LOT better than the 2802 but quite a few poeple dont like it compared with other models. I've not seen the remotes for other models but I have no problem operating the remote on the 3802. It is programable so I can use all my other devices through it (DVD/CD/TV/VCR/SKY) and with a little training so can my wife now :D

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Biggest difference i think would be the number of channels and amplification....3802 7x110watts....2802 6x90watts

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I liked the little bit of extra 'future proofing' the 3802 gave me with the 6.1/7.1 formats Plus the PLII does make TV & VCR tapes sound a lot better.