1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... Denon 2105 or yamaha 650/750????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clarky78, Nov 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I cant decide between the 2. if the price is right i may swing for the 750, but is it much different to the 650 anyway, other than component up conversion?
    I'm swaying for the denon cause it looks nicer but any suggestions??
    everyone round here seems to prefer the yamaha stuff. And the dealer i'm looking at says dont even consider the marantz and he sells them...

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So, what hi-fi have gave them both 5/5 in the awards magazine thingy. My decision is getting harder. And now i have seen the Harmon Kardon 330 at a low low price and they do look rather nice. hmmmm..........

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The 750 is a big improvment over the 650, UK tuning, better power supply and a few things but it is ugly:eek: Is there any chance you can listen to the 750 or 2105 as that is the only real way of finding out. Which ever you choose you will get a superb amp. I would avoid the HK amps at the moment as they dont seem to be as good as the old series :confused:

4. ninjai

ninjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, I wanted to get the 750 to go with the B&W 603's and some guys just recommended me to get Denons or Marantzs instead. And I finally got the 2105 but since I haven't got my speakers yet so I cant give any further infos.

5. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well, i just spent 2 hours demoing the 2105 and 750 to music, the dealer prefered the denon. i liked the denon, it's warmth was appealing but the yamaha was edging ahead because it had better seperation and detail. the dealer kept saying it was bright which i was inclined to agree with but my mission 733i speakers can be a little soft so i thought it would be a good match. The clincher was a phil collins track that actually made me tingle it was so good. after comparing a few other tracks it was the yamaha for me. i didnt hear any movies unfortunately, but the dealer said i could have taken each display model home in turn if i wanted too, I was struggling so much between them.
    also the 750 is more money and no tuner so i guess your getting more amp for your money. Also has 8 pre ins compared to the denons 6. still has those ****e spring clip terminals for the surround backs though :(
    Oh yeah, it doesnt match but it had to be titanium cause black looks bob!!

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in this comparison - featurewise I like the Pure Direct stereo mode you get with the Yamaha's. Do people think this'd be a good match for the Mordaunt Short 914s or would the Yammie sound bright with the MS?
    I know the answer is "go and listen" and I plan too - but it's just not possible to listen to every possible combination.

7. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    At the minute i have MS10i's as my fronts (long story) and they have metal dome tweeters and are bright. They are a few years old and don't know how they compare with the 914's (ms10 is bookshelf) but with my old yamaha they were ok, i am setting my new 750 up with these temporarily in a bit and will let you know how they sound. Though, from my demo session i think the denon would suit better, but as i will be putting my 733i's on it eventually, if it's a little harsh it wont matter for long.

8. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, i hooked it up to the MS10i's for the minute and it sounds absolutely awesome ( i dont think i have ever bought something and been convinced i made the right choice ever!!). It is slightly bright at louder volumes (but not harsh) but at normal volumes for my smaller room it's fine with the ms's. In movie modes sounds simply fall from the air, with no connection with any speaker at all, i can't believe how much more open it sounds than my old amp. And the pure direct mode is very good too, it seems to have such an open and wide soundstage i have to look twice to make sure i dont have NEO:6 music on!!!

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one! I'm now a much happier chappy as I bought a 750 yesterday and am currently biting nails until it turns up!

10. neuty

neuty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    i`ve had a 750 for some 2/3 months now and still i am amazed at the quality it pushes out.
    my old sony 495 was a bit of a shed,but i managed .
    i have my 750 rigged up to a set of ms premieres,and to be quite honest i believe i have got probably the best sound per pound out there.
    it will be the best buy you could make.
    i have no regrets

11. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not until you hear about the RX-V2500 costing approximately £530 (direct from Germany, if you're in the UK). That's only £130 more than I paid for the DSP-AX750. :oops:
    I tell ya, it's 'Rip-off' land where I'm living in - big time.

Regards,
    reservoir51

12. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (puts fingers in ears) lalalalalalalalaalalalalalalalaaaa - I'm not listening...tempt me not evil one!

I'm already 50% over budget as it is and the girlfriend keeps muttering about the bathroom needing doing!

Still, good call for anyone still looking reservoir51 :thumbsup:

Mods - any chance of a "fingers in ears" smiley?

13. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    clarky: whats music (stereo & surrond) like through the yamaha and MS10s? I have AE Ageis' and they also have metal tweeters, superfi are doing it for £350 at the minute. and i am tempted. But i do have a Denon DVD 2200 so maybe that might be better?! :lease:

14. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    stinky: music is good, surround music formats have really come on some, but pure direct is the audiophile's choice. Though i must point out that my ms10's are wall mounted and if i stand up so i'm level with the tweeters it is brighter. Personally i love it, though i bought it with my 733i's in mind not the ms10's which will be used as rears at a later date again.
    The clarity is awesome, but if you like your music warm and smooth to listen to, with the ms's anyway, it's a little brighter. I actually demo'd the amp's with a pair of AE floorstanders ( not sure which ), and it was very good, but i changed to Missions at the end of the demo because they matched my real life equipment better.
    I would really suggest a visit to super-fi to listen to it, i think they do AE's??

15. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Also thought i'd mention the tacky spring clip terminals on the yamaha as i mentioned earlier. They are not the surround backs but extra front effects speaker terminals. Effectively 9.1, but you cant use backs and effects together, so still 7.1. Anyway the 7 'real' terminals are proper banana/screw down affairs. Just thought i'd clear that up!

16. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok thats great - thanks.Locally there are no decent dealers with both. But i am going to Nottingham next Friday. I know where the super-fi shop is so could get them to demo both the Yammy and the Denon. Just hope that the price doesnt go up too much in that time! Thanks for the idea!!! :laugh:

17. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    If you go to nottingham, and they won't honour the net price instore or the deal has ended, forum hifi in sherwood sell the amp for £399. Or you could just do a price match.

18. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am sure the price will be the same. If not i think others sell it for around the same on line anyway. I just need to go and listen to them and thats a bonus i happen to be going somewhere where i can! Thanks again :thumbsup:

19. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    the yammy offer at super hifi
    OFFERS EXPIRE: Midday, Monday 22nd November 2004.....

20. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, yes. But i have seen stuff in the 7 day specials before that have been taken out after the 7 days but the price has stayed the same. Anyway i dont go to Nottingham until next Friday, i move house tomorrow so i cant do anything but 'risk it' anyway!