1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!! Denon 1910/Toshiba 37WL56 DVI Problem.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rogeclub, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Rogeclub

Rogeclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Denon 1910 DVD Player hooked up through DVI to HDMI on a Toshiba 37WL56.

The picture through it is spot on, but every so often the screen will go black for a second and then come back on.

I've tried hooking up my PC throught the same cables and I don't get the same problem.

Would anyone know if this is the TV or the DVD player at fault here. I spoke to Toshiba tech support and they think it's more of an issue with the DVD player.

The problem isn't that frequent i.e. once every hour or so and I cannot reproduce it by going to specific points on a DVD.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    If it doesn't happen when you use the PC with the same connection then that is a clear indication that the fault is most likely at the DVD player end.

3. Rogeclub

Rogeclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking it's either the player or the display going out of synch with the HDCP encryption. I don't know if this is possible I'm not that savvy with this sort of thing :) .

The Denon player outputs with HDCP whereas the PC does not.

4. plubraich

plubraich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Might just be as simple as a faulty dvd player?

My 2910 is in the shop being repaired. I run it from the DVI port to an Infocus 5700, and it worked for a while and then a fault manifested itself which caused me to get 2 seconds of video, and then blank screen for a second and then 2 seconds of video, and then... you get the picture...

All the other outputs worked fine, just the DVI output was knackered...

Dennon has had my player for 5 weeks now, waiting on a part!!! (I thought they made them!)

I also tried my projector with a PC to make sure it wasn't the projector. See if you can take your DVD player to a friends house, or plug it into another display that takes the digital output that is failing...

If you do find it's faulty I hope they are quicker with yours than mine... :)

5. jamesm

jamesm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same issue using a Denon 3910 to drive a Toshiba 32WL48 @ 720p over HDMI. Every now and then, the TV would go blank for a few seconds whilst the audio continued. The retailer (JL) sent a firm out to check the TV when I complained of the fault. They examined the set and said they would need to go back to Toshiba and check it out with them. The Toshiba response was that this is a known issue and they didn't seem likely to resolve it in the near future. I think the problem lies with the HDCP handshaking on the television. John Lewis have taken the set back and refunded me. I bought a Panansonic TX32 LDX500 which works without any issues. Hope this helps.

6. Rogeclub

Rogeclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any ideas if this happened on 1080i?

7. Rogeclub

Rogeclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just spoken to Toshiba tech support. Apparently the issue here is there is a compatability problem between Denon DVD players and the 37WL56, the two companies are currently in talks about resolving the problem.

I'm guessing one of the companies will release a firmware update, I was told to call back in about a week to see what's going on with it.

8. jamesm

jamesm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be so sure. I had the exact same problem with 2 different Denon 3910 players AND a Yamaha player suplied by my dealer (I don't remember which model).