Help. Deleted BD, can I undelete on DMR DS-780?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Just call me Al, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I wanted to free up my hard drive so I archived 3 films I recently recorded. I tested the finished recorded BD disc & it worked fine, so I deleted the recordings on the hard drive (so I thought) but it deleted 2 of the titles on the BD disc. Can I un-delete the BD disc? I can't find anything in the menu to do this & one of the films is the first ITV film I've come across that I can record in HD & it won't let me record it again in HD.

2. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I feel for you! these machines really need to go back to the drawing board and be re-designed with a better user interface.

I'm finding my BS750 a jack of all trades but a master of none!

to answer your question, i don't really know, but i'm thinking that once you delete, you can't undo this.

3. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have very mixed feelings about the recorder. On one hand it is a really good & convenient way of recordeing, watching & sometimes archiving TV programmes, on the other hand it is a very pricey piece of kit that doesn't live up to it's expectations, not all Panasonics fault. This flagging is pathetic. For instance there are some films I would buy on Bluray, there are many I would like to keep but not buy & the TV recording is good enough, but to put a 'Can't record' flag on a HD programme that barely meets HD standard, has an ITV HD logo all the way through, has adverts in & is probably cut is plain ridiculous. There should be NO RESTRICTION at all not even the record 'once only' as I have found to my detriment. As for the delete, I thought that once recorded onto a BD disk (not a RW) it could not be deleted, why on earth would you want to record onto a non R/W disk just to delete it. If they have to do this Panasonic should give a large warning saying you are deleting from a BD disc NOT THE HARD DRIVE.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    HD Copy limitation restriction is scarcely Panasonic's or the machine's fault... and it is a fact that without it, HD broadcasting would never have been allowed to develop.

So as frustrating as it might be, it is the compromise that had to be made.

5. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    That was what I said.
    Unless this stupidity is stopped soon there will be no place for any kind of archiving via top brands. I for one will buy the first eastern recorder that lets me do what I want, as per DVD several years ago. All this flagging will do is put people onto Dreamboxes, computers with HD cards with BD burners etc, etc.

6. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I totally agree with you Al, i'm even already thinking about buying a BD burner for my computer, as i find the Panasinic's version far too limited in features, I mean why no top menu option for BD? If archiving onto BD is supposed to be the next step from archiving to dvd, shouldn't it be more feature rich rather than less?

The idea is to keep the discs to play in the furture on other machines, so a top menu would make it much easyer to find what you want from the disc, i just can't understand why a machine costing the best part of a grand dosen't offer this option for BD when it dose for DVD, are they trying to make BD archiving even more unapealing and hoping it won't catch on?

As for flaging HD broadcast stuff is ludcrus too, as it's hardly going to compete directly with shop bought BD's anyway, As Al stated, with the quality being more compressed, a HUGE logo telling you what channel had broadcast it, being cut and having adverts inbetween.

Strange thing i found though is that I recorded Planet earth on BBC HD it did not indicate how many BD copies can be burn, dose this mean i can burn as many as i like? if so why are ITV so stingy?

why didn't they flag SD broadcast recording when VHS rental was all the rage, back then SD was regarded as the HD after the black and white 405 line days.

what's the big deal, i mean apart from a sharper picture, what's the difference between DS and HD anyway for HD to be so flaged?

why are we alowed to record HIFI quality music, and not forced to down graded to lowfi??

I can't see BD archiving ever to take off like DVD archiving did, especially if no one (apart from Panasonic) are producing the machines, and with all these restrictions, not to mention the high cost of blank media.

BD was invented with the record option right from day one (not like dvd when recording came some time later) and BD has now been around for a good 5 years or so, yet i don't personally know anyone who ownes a BD player yet!

HD camcorders are everywhere now, yet wheres the archiving tools for them??

there's a big gap in the market which for some reson can be easily filled as it cost's no more to manufacturer a BD machine than a DVD machine yet with all this red tape with licencing etc the format will die before it ever takes off, just like betamax did, and that format also had a better PQ than vhs!

just my oppinion