1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Def Tech's or M&K new K-Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Leeray3, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for reading this. After months of lookng around for speakers I had finally decided on the Def Techs Pro Cinema 80. However M&K have released the new K-Series speakers. They look good and fit the criteria that my girlfriend has set(Black and discrete, no big standing out speakers) I have heard the DEf Techs and i think they sound great. I have been advised though that the M&Ks are better.
    i was thinking of 2 K7's and 3 K5'5 and the K9. as a setup or even 2 K's for the front and the rest using def tech.

I am amateurish at all this and need some ideas as to a good setup. I'd appreciate some help.

Also has anyone heard the M&ks yet. If so are they that much better and what are the prices.

I am connecting what ever I buy to the Denon AVR-3801 amp if this helps with an answer.

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi Lee
    The Def Techs are very good. They are not too expensive, very small and sound bigger.

They are particularly useful in a 6.1 and 7.1 system (which you could manage with your 3801) where the directional nature is most at home.

I have heard the M&K K series and rated them as better. I was listening to the larger fronts and Tripoles at the rear and in 5.1 they were amazingly good for a small speaker.
    If size and not money is your limitation then I would go for these. If you are intending to go 7.1 then I would use the normal rears - not the tripoles.

I have only heard these sytems with big subs. As the dem room where I have heard them is large. (they were using the M&K THX sub).
    If you have an average sized room you should be fine. Both systems, however, are available as separate speakers so if money permits you may benefit from trying different subs. - If you are in a small room, then I would think it less of an issue.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Alex

3. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice. Money is a little tight so i will probably go for the def techs. My lounge is not huge so I will probably go for the same sub as well.

Do you have any recommendations for places to purchase these?

:rolleyes:

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Musical Images (various stores in the London area) sell Def Techs).

I don't know if Radfords Ltd have any stores in the London area, but they do them too.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you can get out to High Wycombe, in Bucks, then we have the Def Techs' on demo. We also have the MK 85 system , and hopefully will be getting a set of the K-series at some point...(I hope, then I can borrow them!)

Rick

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    All the Sevenoaks stores sell them as well.
    Hope you can find some.

Regards
    Alex