Help, decisions please. TX200 or Z4

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BimmerJimmer, Mar 17, 2006.

1. BimmerJimmer

BimmerJimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi,

I have borrowed a (crappy) projector from work for Geezah DVD evenings in the Garage a few times. I am about to take the plunge and set one up permanently in the home in the spare room. It will mostly be used for watching DVDs, playing xbox 360 and also big football games on freeview and sky.

I've done a bit of homework on these forums and reckon the TX200 and Z4 seem like the best of the bunch. Can anybody help with any differences between the two to help make my decision?

Currently, pixmania seem to be best for prices:

TX200 and Z4

My budget is about a grand and need to make a purchase in the next week or so (TAX claim at end of FY).

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome:lease:

2. ggp

ggp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi m8t ive just went and bought a sanyo z4 however did not buy from pixmania as they are only doing 1 year warranty and dont seem to do the free bulb vochure

i went to to _www.247AV.com do a search for the cheapest deal you can get and then email them and ask them to pricematch

cheers

gordon:thumbsup:

3. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Both are good projectors, but I've seen a few bad views of the Z4, rainbow effect and the TX200 can somewhat be a noisey bugga!!

Me I would go for the Panasonic PTAE-900 ...and thats not because I have one - I don't have any yet.....cheers

Me also considering as you are these projectors!!!!!!!!

You look at all these specs and reviews and the Panny seems to somewhat come out on top!

But don't be put off with the two you have in mind.

Cheers

4. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If at all poss see a demo as you might be disapointed,I have a Z4 but because i have not seen 1 set up prof wise it could be better , but i'm very happy with it , sitting 10ft away 96" screen painted wall:thumbsup:

5. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Quote "Also the TX200 is rated as the quietest projector on the markjet today"

Its NOT, 30 Audiable Dec's its not quiet.....thats tractor noise compared to the Panny 900 its a mere 26 Dec's....

Not causing any argues here but I gues what is 4 Dec's anyway !!!!

Cheers:eek:

6. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Rainbows on a LCD:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: come on what are you talking about
    pure_geordie please dont give advice if you have no idea its very misleading for some one looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Anyway...

I am with the Hitachi it just seems to pit the others to the post and will most likely be my next projector however I keep looking at the Sony HS50, To be fair the Z4 is way up there but it does require a fair bit of tweaking to get it singing well, and you must keep in mind that sneaky dlp jobby the Optoma HD72i now this bad boy seems to have it all but its just out of reach with the 1400 price tag.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum

Darko

7. UrbanSurvival

UrbanSurvival

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have the Z4. This decision was made solely on placement options as both PJ's have their followings and +'s / -'s.

If you haven't done so already check out the calculator on projectorcentral.com to make sure that both fit your install, also a very good calculator on sanyo.de. If both work, also think about replacement bulb costs (Z4 comes with free bulb voucher) and warranty. With regard to noise, the Z4 is whisper quiet. I was just playing PS2 sitting 2' from the fan and didn't notice it at all. Not sure where the bad reviews of the deinterlacer came from either as it seems ok to me. ROne has posted some settings on the Z4 which would be a great starting point. The only thing I would say is the Sanyo is not the pretiest PJ to have been designed, it's basically a silver lump but that's why it sits behind me!

Best thing is to get a demo, I bought blind as it was down to placement but I think you would be very happy with either. Unless someone has seen a demo side by side I would also take all comments (including these :rolleyes: ) with a pinch of salt.

I got mine from discounttv. Ben went through a number of points and answered all the questions I had, not the cheapest but a well respected company should it all go wrong.

Cheers for now, back to enjoy the big screen!

EDIT: Just seen Darko's comments and if you can make it fit, the H72 would be a very strong contender. I all but knocked down a wall to make it work, but apparently the lounge is not just for watching DVD's...whatever will she say next :D

8. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60

9. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    no worries bud its all good , just to clarify

LCD=Screen door
    DLP=Rainbows

both of which suck if you get em:rotfl:

Darko

10. BimmerJimmer

BimmerJimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Blimey, so strong supporters of each of the three. Hmmm, would ideally like to see them running side by side but that isn't really an option - not too many big av dealers around here.

I guess I could rely on the trusty coin toss?

But it does sound like they are all good, each having their own strong points. Hopefully whatever I decide, I can't go too wrong.

Will check out the projector calculator tomorrow to see if that helps make a decision.

11. BimmerJimmer

BimmerJimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Its looking like my decision is being swayed towards the TX200. Simple reason being initial cost = £1k. Comes with free screen - I know it will be crap but it'll keep my in good stead until I stump up the cash for a good one. Plus the price of the lamps seem to be cheaper. It even works out a better deal when you consider that Z4 has the free bulb voucher.

Speak now or forever hold your peace and live with guilt of not helping me with some useful snippet of wisdom:)

Seriously, thanks for all your comments.

12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Just to let you know. db is a logarithmic scale. An increase in 3db is a doubling of volume.

13. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would strongly recommend that you do NOT buy the Panny 900 as if it has to go in for repair (and they often do) Panny have a tendancy to keep them for a few months. Their CS is absolutley awful and it has become a of major concern for most people looking to buy a 900. I have demoed the Z4 and the TX200 at great length with 3 other people all of which ended up buying the Z4. There is not much between the two but the Z4 is a lot sharper and if you are prepared to set it up correctly will give better results than the TX200 in my opinion.

14. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

^^^^^^ Same here.

15. BimmerJimmer

BimmerJimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I think the TX200 swings it.

Anybody know whether its better to connect the 360 to the PJ using component or VGA cables?