Help deciding !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by manishmm, Dec 24, 2001.

1. manishmm

manishmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been looking for an "audiophile" DVD-A player which can playback my CDs.

Have shortlisted two players. One is the ARCAM FMJ DV27 & the other is the Toshiba SD 900E.:confused:

Any input from users regarding the soundstage and audio sound of these two players will be highly appreciated.

My main usage is listening to CDs 80% and 20% of the time is spent on viewing movies on the DVD player.

Have a Yamaha DSP A3090 amp (soon to be replaced with the AZ1 from Yamaha) with the following speaker setup.. Front mains Cadence Amaya Electrostatics & rear surround B&W DM 602 S3s. The centre channel is an LCR600 by B&W).

The confusing factor here which is not helping me decide is that the Toshiba can be bought at US$ 1220 & the arcam is way way high up at US$ 2600. Both these prices are Ex -Dubai. Plus the ARCAM does not have a progressive output.

Yes the rear speakers are S3 the new version from B&W.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

M M

2. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Manishmm,

I've just seen your post.

The FMJ DV27 does have Progressive Scan output. It is generated via Silicon Image SIL503 chips to give "full motion-adaptive progressive scan".

The CD playback performance of the DV27 is exceptional and if, as you state, this is importantant to you, I would urge you to listen to the two players side by side. If you are able to do this I am very confident you will pick the DV27 for both CD and DVD replay.

Best regards,

Steve Reichert

Brand Manager
    Arcam

3. manishmm

manishmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Steve,

I agree an audition would be the best. However i have communicated with your dealer in Dubai. He says that since the DV 27 is not in stock all the time with them they would be requiring an advance. I have not yet auditioned the unit as yet.

Secondly in India due to the high burden of local and import taxes we are unable to find these on shop shelves/audio stores.

Thirdly and as universally observed that the DV 27 as well as other ARCAM products are expensive and without an audition I would not be able to decide. This was the reason for the post on the message board as well as a message to Mr. Dawson.

I do sincerely wish to audition the unit at your dealers at Pune, India if they have one in stock.

Meanwhile i am yet as confused as ever due to the difference in prices.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks

M M Merchant