1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Deciding!!!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jfxp, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive spent the past month reading various TV mags, trying to decide which plasma/lcd to go for. Ive narrowed it down to Philips 37pf9986 or the Sharp Lc-37gd1e, or at least i thought i had! Just recently i heard about philips releasing there new range of lcd screens (Available in around autumn i think). Should i wait?

I currently have sky +,pioneer dv-575a dvd player and a sony dav-s800 (currently just used as amp/speakers). Would prob go for sky's HD service when it is released.

Which screen would suit me best (currently main viewing is dvd/sky+) or is there any other lcd/plasma screens that youse would recommened?

Many thanks :lease:

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You will be waiting all your life for the next best thing to arrive.

Amongst others, Loewe make decent displays www.loewe-uk.com. The Xelos SL is similar to the Sharp GD1E without Freeview although this is an option, the Spheros is better still - better optics and sound. The Xelos 'A' series is like the Sharp GA models. Basically Loewe make some of the Sharp displays - if you buy a Loewe now, your going to be getting, give or take, what Sharp will be bring out in 6 months time. But at a price premium.

-Ian

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is definitely a case to be made for waiting for this new Philips range.
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/230/v/4/sp/
    The prices of the new PF9380 range are astonishingly low! With typical dealer price cutting these will almost immediately be cheaper than the current range! Most certainly not a good idea to turn your back on these....

It's true what you say Ian, you can't wait forever, but advance knowledge like this is hard to ignore!

Jimmy

Jimmy

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the plasma side of things, there's the forthcoming Panasonic 37 and 42 Viera PV500 (out next couple of months). These are high-resolution screens with HDMI etc.

I personally think these will knock the socks off any current LCD, but what i think is beside the point i guess.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What you think is very much the point Superpixel! That's why we're all here! If you think the new Panny Plasmas are going to be the New DB's then you're more than welcome to say so.....

Jimmy

6. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New philips screens seem to be a big improvement, but you cant ignore the low prices of the current range!

The Lowe screens seem to be very good as well, all very confusing.

Any one got or tested the sharp screen as mentioned above?

7. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with my sharp LC37GA4.

I prefered the smaller bezel of the sharp - compared to the Philips. Also wasn't too keen on the ambilite thing - since I'm not wall mounting - and some people complained about it buzzing - and it seems like a bit of a gimmick. (How much cost does it add ??)

I wasn't atall convinced by the 'PixelPlus' demo mode. Also, I've never been able to find a coherent technical explanation of what PixelPlus actually does differently to any normal LCD drive electronics. Just marketing mumbo jumbo and arm waving. For CRT displays I know it related to motion compensated frame rate conversion - but the LCD is too slow to refresh faster than 50/60Hz - so just what is PP doing differently to anyone else?

I'm not sure about this but I read somewhere you can't adjust the backlight on the Philips. Is this correct? If so then the Sharp has a big advantage here - you can adjust it to suit the viewing conditions (running lower should also help prolong the lamp life). Sharp even have a photodiode for auto backlight control - but mine seems a bit unstable so I just set it manually.

Interested to see what the new Philips scanning backlight thing looks like though.

8. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive always been impressed with the pixel plus tv's, not seen a proper setup pixel plus 2 lcd yet though, the sharp 37gd1 gets a great review, but i dont think it has any technology like pixel plus etc, so would the picture still be good with dvd's and sky?

On a pixel plus crt tv i though the picture looked almost 3d like, would it be the same the philips/sharp/lowe lcd screens?

9. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been trying to find some other mention on the web of the figures given on the avreview site - with no success. So do you know the origin of this info? Or any other sites with similar info?

db