Promoted Help decide which OLED is King …and win a Philips 65OLED+936

Updated the event information as there is now the (very good) chance to win a Philips 65OLED+936 TV if you attend the event.

Great idea for the event. Enjoy guys and be sure to feedback your thoughts on the TV's!!! :)

Are you supposed to hear straight back or are they waiting to draw the list of invitees?

Last edited:
Are you supposed to hear straight back or are they waiting to draw the list of invitees?

I got a follow up email asking some more info and then nothing, so assume either full or have to wait, no idea on which. Expecting full.

I mailed again and the chap said my first one got caught in his spam filter!

I mailed again and the chap said my first one got caught in his spam filter!

was it a confirmation or win/lose or just an info request?

Was just a confirmation of my details for consideration as I hadn't heard anything back.

I also received an initial reply from my first email. The follow up said I would hear back in due course, as of yet heard nothing.

Many thanks to all the people who have entered. We now have a full house but will create a short list of reserves and will check everyone is still planning to come 36 hours before the event.
Everyone who has a place should have been contacted and asked for contact details.
You should also have received more information about the event by email today.
We have been waiting for Abbey Road to confirm their covid requirements but should be able to finalise everything early next week.
Thanks for your patience.

Many thanks to all the people who have entered. We now have a full house but will create a short list of reserves and will check everyone is still planning to come 36 hours before the event.
Everyone who has a place should have been contacted and asked for contact details.
You should also have received more information about the event by email today.
We have been waiting for Abbey Road to confirm their covid requirements but should be able to finalise everything early next week.
Thanks for your patience.
I have just received your email and many thanks for my invitation. I can't wait for the evening and I'm sorting out my travel arrangements now.

Same, sadly more interested to see Abbey Road Studio's than the actual event, and seriously hoping that i don't see the new philip oleds and get blown away and have to buy one....talks to bank manager.

as i'm big Beatles i will be going down early to abbey road to get the obligatory picture on the crossing and take a few pictures of abbey road itself while we have light. anyone interested in that who is going just PM me.

This is obvious who is going to win the outcome.

Looking over the thread from the 2018 Phillips event it seems it's setup in a way where Phillips will edge out other brands most likely by a combination of the following;

• 4 tvs going across which in 2018 the middle TVs had the distinct advantage. The TVs that scored the highest were the middle TVs which were Phillips and Sony.
  • Phillips chose all the content to go along with the questions
  • Phillips tends to have a bit of a sharpen look if I recall so this should stand out better room where sharpness was a criteria in many of the scoring questions(that i could see) and especially useful in a situation where people are in a large room judging TVs from far outside normal viewing distances and angles. It's sort of like how vivid mode works well in a large open brick and mortar store
  • Questions seemed to be similar and Phillips chose content knowing the questions. I didn't see the full list of questions but from the Youtube video the first page was mostly centered around 'sharpness' being mentioned in 4 out of 5 questions(left side of screenshot). If you look at how Value Electronics and HDTVTest did their questions that same year sharpness is barely even an attribute being measured.

Nice that they are setting up an event but yes the shootout is basically aimed in a way where it's going to highlight certain attributes in that specific setting. Sort of like if you had a 'speaker shootout' then placed your speakers in a location where it's going to be more ideal and then ask a variation of questions that highlight your speakers attributes in that specific room which isn't typically used for listening to music at those distances. So asking sharpness in multiple questions when half of the people are viewing this from far greater distances than normal viewing especially with some TVs being off angle may not be the best metric real world use. With that said all of the TVs are extremely competitive and excellent.

OLED.jpg

Looking over the thread from the 2018 Phillips event it seems it's setup in a way where Phillips will edge out other brands most likely by a combination of the following;

• 4 tvs going across which in 2018 the middle TVs had the distinct advantage. The TVs that scored the highest were the middle TVs which were Phillips and Sony.
  • Phillips chose all the content to go along with the questions
  • Phillips tends to have a bit of a sharpen look if I recall so this should stand out better room where sharpness was a criteria in many of the scoring questions(that i could see) and especially useful in a situation where people are in a large room judging TVs from far outside normal viewing distances and angles. It's sort of like how vivid mode works well in a large open brick and mortar store
  • Questions seemed to be similar and Phillips chose content knowing the questions. I didn't see the full list of questions but from the Youtube video the first page was mostly centered around 'sharpness' being mentioned in 4 out of 5 questions(left side of screenshot). If you look at how Value Electronics and HDTVTest did their questions that same year sharpness is barely even an attribute being measured.

Nice that they are setting up an event but yes the shootout is basically aimed in a way where it's going to highlight certain attributes in that specific setting. Sort of like if you had a 'speaker shootout' then placed your speakers in a location where it's going to be more ideal and then ask a variation of questions that highlight your speakers attributes in that specific room which isn't typically used for listening to music at those distances. So asking sharpness in multiple questions when half of the people are viewing this from far greater distances than normal viewing especially with some TVs being off angle may not be the best metric real world use. With that said all of the TVs are extremely competitive and excellent.

View attachment 1601299

As long as you go in with your eyes open, then you can get some value from it. After all it's a two way event, they want to prove theirs is best, but I'm interested to see what Philips does well and are they things I want, as I know my LG well and I know the type of content I watch.

There is always the risk that you get talked into seeing things that aren't there (classic hifi seller trick of telling you what you will hear before you hear it). Just have to be careful of it.

I'm am about to buy my third LG OLED, I have been very happy with them. Phillips are clearly aiming to change the minds of potential LG/Sony owners who maybe looking to buy in the run up to black Friday. I for one will be going in open minded.

Now siting in a Persian restaurant having a coffee waiting as it's bloody cold outside!

Enjoy guys!
Please remember to post your 'subjective' and 'unbiased' feedback :)
Have a great night!

A good selection of clips, pushing the processing past break point at times, but there naturally had to be one winner, with Philips at 36% of the combined vote I recall - deserved after seeing the processors work their magic in session 2.

• Did Phillips choose all of the content beforehand?
  • How were the TVs setup(in what order)?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom