Help decide on in-ear

Reaction score
I've had terrible luck with the SoundMAGIC PL30s. Before those I had Sennheiser CX300-II, but wanted an improvement and was recommended the PL30s. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed by the PL30s, mainly by the bass (or lack of) as I listen to Drum and Bass. So now i'm looking for a new pair and i'm restricted to iHeadphones because i'm returning a second faulty pair of PL30s. I'm probably prepared to go up to £80, but ideally would like to spend less than that.

I've had a look through the forum and seen the following recommended numerous times for the sort of price range i'm looking at, but I genuinely have no idea which are best for me and which perform the best. And just to note I am definitely looking for in-ear.

Beyerdynamic DTX100
Denon AH-C751
Klipsch Image S4
Sennheiser IE6
Shure SE115
Westone UM1

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hmm... over 50 views, but no one has any advice? That's a shame... :rolleyes:

Well, I can only comment on the S4 because I have them. Well, in fact, I had the White S4i and I was very impressed with the sound. Where the cable met the jack started to come apart. I thought it wasn't covered by warranty and attempted a heat shrink fix which didn't hold up too well. I emailed Klipsch US and they told me I was entitled to a replacement. I sent this reply to Amazon UK and they gave me a full refund! I then bought Klipsch S5i a month or two ago.

Anyway still impressed with the sound, also the build quality feels like it may last a bit longer (but time will tell). The only problem with the S5i is the controller is a little heavy, I don't think you're after the 'i' version though.

Haven't tried the others so couldn't help you out there.

Well, I can only comment on the S4 because I have them. Well, in fact, I had the White S4i and I was very impressed with the sound.
How is the bass on them?

How is the bass on them?

I think it's pretty good. I listen to mostly Metal/Rock from my iPhone on either flat or rock EQ (no no real bass boost) and it sounds in check with the rest of the music. The bass doesn't distort at high volumes (a problem with cheap headphones in my experience), so I guess you could crack up the bass. Unfortunately the Bass Booster EQ on my phone ruins the music so it cannot be used, however if you have a different source I think you could crank the bass up and the 'phones would handle it.

The headphones' natural EQ, i.e. how it sounds with no EQ on the source is pretty good, apparently the mids are slightly scooped, which is how I set up my PC speakers so it suits me perfectly :smashin:

Some of the other headphones may have superior bass if that's the sort of thing you like, wouldn't be able to say myself!

What sort of music are you listening to on it?

Still can't decide which one's to go for :(

I can't say I go near drum and bass with a barge pole, however I'm sure it would be okay. I have heard the v-moda are good for bass; I'm afraid I've said all I can say on the matter without guesswork!

Thanks for your help.

Any one else's help would be much appreciated.

Would be interested to hear what you ended up going for? I would have said the Beyerdynamics DTX100's would be the way to go if DnB is your flavour. I'm also a fan of the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass 012's - Amazing when your DnB is a little more 'intelligent'. Depends how dark and dirty you like it! ;)

I've already reviewed the PFE012's on my site - working on the DTX100 review today actually!

Cheers,
Ryan

I wouldn't go for the Shures if you're after bass. The S4s comfortably handle bass (a lot of bass), and half your budget. Not so strong in treble but nice mids.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom