help decide if to go projector route or stick with new tv

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nbkicker33, Dec 7, 2011.

1. nbkicker33

nbkicker33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    hi, over last few weeks i have been thinking about a new tv, i bought the panasonic 50gt30 but sent it back cause of the green blob on the screen, for many years i have thought about getting a projector, but was unsure about the quality of the picture, at moment my dilema is if to get a optoma hd600x and the 3dxl box with a 90-100 inch screen or to go for another tv i.e. lg47lw650t or samsung 46d7000.
    for people with the projector setup im thinking of or similar setups, what is the picture quality like compared to a new tv, also how is 3d on a projector compared to new tvs. im thinking of using my old tv for sky and ps3, and using projector just for blurays and 3dblurays plus a bit of gaming.

edit, just looked on net and noticed for same price as the tvs im thinking about i could get a optoma hd300x and screen

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,099
    There is no contest between a projector and tv for 3D the projector wins hands down.

As long as you keep your existing tv for general viewing (news soaps etc) and use the pj for movies/games like you said you will be fine.

Get the 300x though as the difference between 720p/1080p on a 100" screen is quite marked as long as you are sitting at the correct distance.For a 100" screen anywhere between 8-12ft would be the optimal distance with 1080p material.

Ideally make sure you can keep any external light out of the room for daytime use for best results.

3. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I am in same situation as nbkicker, i have a decent 2 year old panasonic 46" plasma and was considering 47" lg passive for about £800 to get into 3d, but am wondering if it is worth paying £800 just to get 3d and a screen of 1" more than i have at moment, so am now leaning towards a projector for 3d sports games and movies and keeping plasma tv
    I am considering the Optoma gt750xl, as that has built in 3d and you get 1 pair of glasses as well for £50
    But it is 720p, and even though it would be okay for xbox360, skyHd and sky sports, I will also buy 3d blu rays and wonder if I should get full hd ,

I have been looking for a few weeks and yesterday decided that the gt750 would suit my needs , but now with your comments I have realised that I would probably make screen as big as possible and therefore full hd would be better.

i see that the 300x has 3d built in as well and is £999.Are built in 3d adaptors better than buying the ones with a need for a 3d box?

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,099
    I would definitely get a 300x or even the Epson TW5900 at £999 as it is better having the 3D built in as less wires and connections.

The GT750 is ok but does not have a zoom function so you move it closer or further from the screen to make the image larger or smaller.The image quality of the 300x/5900 is far better as not only is it 1080p but the colours/contrast levels are much more suitable for films etc.

The GT750 is more a gaming type pj for use in rooms with ambient light where you just put it down on a low table 6-8 ft in front of a screen or wall and will get a 100"+ image then put it away after use.

5. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    thanks for advice,1080p 3d built in it is then.

6. Queens Pawn

Queens Pawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got a HD67N and a Panasonic 37" px80 plasma. For watching Bluray in the dark, the HD67N is preferred for that big screen feel, BUT for more casual/sociable viewing I prefer the plasma's contrast and colour.

I would seriously consider a projector with the best optics and contrast regardless of whether it is 720p or 1080p.