Help! Dealer crashed my car! what now?

S

scissor_leg

Hi all, can anyone help? I took my 6 month old suzuki swift in to the dealer for it's first service today. The dealership rang a few hours later to tell me that the service went fine but on the way out of the garage it had a 'little bump'. They said i would be able to keep the courtesy car (with an excess of £500) as it won't be repaired until after christmas. I went to see the damage and it turns out a 'little bump' is a new bumper, headlight, fog light, alloy, side wing, perhaps driver door as it will not open and possibly bonnet. Whilst they were very sorry about this i am now concerned about the effect this will have on the value of the car and concerned that if i agree to them repairing the car i will lose any rights i may have legally. Does anyone know where i stand? The dealership have agreed to pay all repair costs however I'm a little worried that as my insurance company are not involved the dealership may not be completely honest aboout the damage or the work done... Any help much appreciated.

If you have legal expenses cover, I'd get in touch with them.
I agree your car will be devalued.
Either way, get in touch with your insurance company, with a bit of luck it'll be written off.
The door not opening suggests that it could be severely damaged.

Hi,

A little harsh on the comments badger.

Lets keep things in perspective here.

Obviously the garage is at fault, accidents do happen, so it's unfortunate.

Heres what you need to do....

1. ensure that as you are running about in thier courtesy car, that you ensure you have no excess and that you are insured fully comprehensive whilst you vehicle is off the road, enure you get a copy of thier policy and a signed agreement, if you where to have a bump whilst yours is off the road, you wouldn't want to come a cropper with the police in thier car.

2. Many, Many cars on the roads are repaired, most of the time, the repairs are very good and you would never know. I know of many "new" car that have been repaired when they are off loaded at dealerships, don't be fooled into thinking that this never happens.

Therefore, it fact, on a 6 year old car, it may increase the value, new panels, respray, etc, etc.... but in most cases it makes no difference at all, cars like anything else get damaaged and repaired and as long as it's done properly no problem for you, the car, the next owner.

3. Regards repairer, remember if you tell your insurance, then it will be recorded as a no fault, no cost incident, where as if you just let them get on with it and repair it to a standard then nothing gets recorded and you get your car back and it won't be recorded on your insurance.

4. you don't say what type of garage this is, main dealer ?, back street ?, independant !? so obviously you need to make your own mind up, but a number of dealers now have thier own bodyshop which is more than capable of doing repairs and bringing your car back up to standard.

As with all the above, you are in charge, it's a bummer situation that it has happened, but dealt with correctly, like any other accident, it can work out fine.

hope the comments are of some use.

best wishes

Darre J

6 month old car?

If that was me and its the main dealer I'd ask for a new car. You take it in to be serviced not ragged around. You've got them in abit of a corner I'd use it to you full advantage (main dealers are scum). Also you don't know if the car can be repaired, they might be doing it to save money. All IMO of course.

Hi,

A little harsh on the comments badger.

Lets keep things in perspective here.

Obviously the garage is at fault, accidents do happen, so it's unfortunate.

Heres what you need to do....

1. ensure that as you are running about in thier courtesy car, that you ensure you have no excess and that you are insured fully comprehensive whilst you vehicle is off the road, enure you get a copy of thier policy and a signed agreement, if you where to have a bump whilst yours is off the road, you wouldn't want to come a cropper with the police in thier car.

2. Many, Many cars on the roads are repaired, most of the time, the repairs are very good and you would never know. I know of many "new" car that have been repaired when they are off loaded at dealerships, don't be fooled into thinking that this never happens.

Therefore, it fact, on a 6 year old car, it may increase the value, new panels, respray, etc, etc.... but in most cases it makes no difference at all, cars like anything else get damaaged and repaired and as long as it's done properly no problem for you, the car, the next owner.

3. Regards repairer, remember if you tell your insurance, then it will be recorded as a no fault, no cost incident, where as if you just let them get on with it and repair it to a standard then nothing gets recorded and you get your car back and it won't be recorded on your insurance.

4. you don't say what type of garage this is, main dealer ?, back street ?, independant !? so obviously you need to make your own mind up, but a number of dealers now have thier own bodyshop which is more than capable of doing repairs and bringing your car back up to standard.

As with all the above, you are in charge, it's a bummer situation that it has happened, but dealt with correctly, like any other accident, it can work out fine.

hope the comments are of some use.

best wishes

Darre J

I totally fail to see how my comments are harsh.
A damaged repaired car will be classed as such by the DVLA.
To sell the car you would have to declare it as repaired, it is illegal to do otherwise, to my knowledge. Unless you're talking about avoiding the insurance company totally.
Personally, I wouldn't want a 6 MONTH old car repaired.
As you say, it's the OP's choice :smashin:

i would want to speak to servicing manager and sales manager or dealer principle and negotiate a new car! ok perhaps with you paying £500 or so for depreciation/use minus the hastle the dealers caused you.

or take the repair as offered etc, please check the t&c's of the insurance on the courtesy vehicle, and then you want free servicing as a goodwill gesture!

I don't know what the legal position is but I know I would be kicking off big time (in an initially polite manner) to the dealer. I would also push for a replacement equivalent vehicle plus compensation.

What were the circumstances of the accident? Was another car involved? I appreciate a car must be roadtested after a service, but if it was a single car accident I would be questioning how they are driving it in a manner such that they lose control and cause that much damage.

Darren - no offence mate but your post is ludicrous, suggesting that he just lets the dealer get on with the repair with no questions asked. Its not just any accident - his car was with the dealer to be serviced and was in their care. Do you work for a dealer? You made a good point about telling the insurer and it affecting future premiums and the value of the car - exactly the reasons why the OP should not just accept a repair.

My 2p anyway.

Dealers take the car for a test drive, depending on the type of service. Other times they just use the car for one of their own runs. You'll never find out either way.

I'd try and get a new car out of it since it's only 6 months old.

As for repairs, a repaired car will always be worth less then an original one, more so in it's early years. A keen eye will spot any repair. You might get rid without anyone noticing but why should you have to deal with that.

Dealers take the car for a test drive, depending on the type of service. Other times they just use the car for one of their own runs. You'll never find out either way.
That they do! One of my friends is a senior mechanic for Ferrari and a few months ago pulled up at mine in an Enzo! Incredibly, he kept the car over the w/end too! I couldn't believe it but that's the way it is. Personally, i don't agree with it but every now then they come un-stuck, as appears to be the case with the OP.

I don't know what i'd do but i'd certainly exhaust all avenues in trying to get a new car out of them.

That they do! One of my friends is a senior mechanic for Ferrari and a few months ago pulled up at mine in an Enzo! Incredibly, he kept the car over the w/end too! I couldn't believe it but that's the way it is. Personally, i don't agree with it but every now then they come un-stuck, as appears to be the case with the OP.

I don't know what i'd do but i'd certainly exhaust all avenues in trying to get a new car out of them.

It can't have been a customer's Enzo :confused: If that was my car, I'd have been furious if someone had taken my car out for their own personal use. Whenever I have my car serviced (Not an Enzo, or even a Ferrari, mores the pity), I always make a note of the mileage and leave it in the ashtray. That way I know how many miles the "test drive" has been.

As for Scissor leg's problem. I'd be furious. It shows negligence and/or incomptence on the part of the dealer. The damage sounds like a fairly significant amount. It might be worth getting an independant inspection made (at the dealers cost??), by the AA or someone like that. That way you have an independant review of the damage. If the chassis has been twisted, it'll never drive right again.

Just my opinion, though.

That they do! One of my friends is a senior mechanic for Ferrari and a few months ago pulled up at mine in an Enzo! Incredibly, he kept the car over the w/end too! I couldn't believe it but that's the way it is.

thats a complete **** take thats a £350,000 + car he`s basically stolen it and if i found someone had taken my enzo over the weekend or not id be completley fuming its a **** take that run of the mill marques get ragged but a prestige marque and the very highest model in this marque you expect the very best. it would cost a normal person £1000 a day to drive one of those :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

witty retorts expected but imagine if some grotty grease monkey borrowed your supermodel girlfriend over the weekend and took her for a test drive

Hi,

Sorry I miss read the first post 6 years, instead of 6 months, so apologies for that.

As regards the repairing of cars, normal repairs are fine, I think badger you are refering to the classifications of insurance write off, IE. the categories.

If a car is just damaged and repaired, it isn't recorded anywhere apart from the insurance company (if they are paying for it).

No I don't work for a garage, I just have family members who have been involved in the car business for many years.

Scissor_leg, if it is only 6 months old, you may (under your own insurance) be elligiable for a new for old replacement as it's under a year old, now, as for the dealer doing that, well you might be fortunate..... just depends.

Getting mad, shouting, making threats, etc, etc isn't going to be productive, keep your cool, know your rights and be reasonable.

I think the best you can hope for is a new for old replacement, which would be a bonus.

The worst is that they agree to repair your car as well as offering you some good will gesture, for example free servicing for the next 3 years as a way of saying sorry.

Also, depending on who took it out, possibly ask what is happening to the person responsible for it, are they going to be disiplined, or the like.

anyway, hope you get things sorted to your satisifaction.

Darren J

It can't have been a customer's Enzo :confused: If that was my car, I'd have been furious if someone had taken my car out for their own personal use. Whenever I have my car serviced (Not an Enzo, or even a Ferrari, mores the pity), I always make a note of the mileage and leave it in the ashtray. That way I know how many miles the "test drive" has been.
It was a customers car.

thats a complete **** take thats a £350,000 + car he`s basically stolen it and if i found someone had taken my enzo over the weekend or not id be completley fuming its a **** take that run of the mill marques get ragged but a prestige marque and the very highest model in this marque you expect the very best. it would cost a normal person £1000 a day to drive one of those :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

witty retorts expected but imagine if some grotty grease monkey borrowed your supermodel girlfriend over the weekend and took her for a test drive
As i say, i really didn't agree with either. My point really was that it happens at all dealers and every now and then they come unstuck, as it appears to have happened with the OP car.

Hi all, thanks for the advice. Basically, without meaning to sound stereotypically feminist, i think that perhaps they are taking advantage of the fact i'm fairly placid and female. I've spoken to the Service Manager, he's very nice and smiley but when i ask for something in writing i seem to get nowhere. Perhaps it didn't help however that when i requested to see the car and went to see it i burst in to tears! I don't want to be an a*** about it but i don't want to end up a year down the line with a white elephant of a car because i didn't know how to deal with the situation in the first place! I have now insured the courtesy car on my own insurance and the dealer (main Suzuki dealership) agreed that if i did this they would not charge me for the servicing. Hmm as i write that i begin to feel i may have been a little too understanding!

I have now insured the courtesy car on my own insurance and the dealer (main Suzuki dealership) agreed that if i did this they would not charge me for the servicing. Hmm as i write that i begin to feel i may have been a little too understanding!
I don't want to make you feel any worse but how much can a service be on a 6 month old motor? Next to nothing i'd imagine ...

On top of the expense of fuel on a courtesy car with a much bigger engine and not at all run in and it being christmas an all it is starting to get fairly expensive at least an extra shifts worth of work! ha ha!

sorry to hear about it anyways, i drive a renault so i know all about ***** dealerships

and your admin fees etc your insurance compnay would of charged you for adding the car.

how can they cause that much damage simply moving it around the bays?
were thay playing football topgear style with all the rest of the lil suzuki's!??

new car amtey!
dont know how you got car but if its on finance, lease hire they may notice the damage repair, and state in fututre not good enough and that will effect you too.

Make them insure the car, scissor_leg, at the very least. That's their responsibility. Or at least make them pay for it. The poxy service fee should have been waived as it is.

I think you're being far too reasonable and yes, you're right, they probably are trying to take advantage of a female.

free service,on your 6 month car cost to them erm possibly cost of water and screen clean to "top up" your washer fluid?
3 pumps of ait in a tyre or 2
erm maybe at the most a tiny tiny smidgen of oil.

cost to dealer errrr £3 bet thats a lot less than any charges your insurance are making to as the courtesy vehicle to your insurance

If you're nervous about the situation do you have a family member or male friend who would be more confident in dealing with them?

In my opinion you should try everything you possibly can not to have that car repaired and have a replacement instead. If it was a small scratch then yes ok a repair is acceptable as well as a goodwill gesture, but the extent of damage you describe is despicable and I would be demanding to know the circumstances of the accident. I would also consider writing to What Car explaining whats happened and tell the dealer you are doing this and they will be subject to very negative publicity indeed.

You should not be out of pocket in ANY way in terms of extra costs involved with putting their courtesy motor on your insurance. Honestly, if all they are doing is giving you a free service and repairing your car, then behind closed doors I have noi doubt they will be rubbing their hands with glee and thinking they've got away with it.

Please tell me you're going to pursue this further, I'd be so annoyed if you let them get away with it!!

Can't see it mentioned here but speed reading this thread I see no mention.....

When you take your car in for service, espeically at main dealers, they normally ask you to sign the work order for the service. Now I have NEVER read one of these but I'll bet in some fine print is makes reference to their liability and your acceptance of teh car in their possession. Maybe, maybe not, but if you did sign something I ask for it and read it very carefully.

Hi there,

My girlie had an accident a few years ago, and her car went to the main dealer for repair. The repair really is as good as new and you can't tell anywhere that there was ever any damage.

As far as I know, this type of repair isn't recorded anywhere, as the insurer has had it repaired. But, if an expert checks it over and is able tell, then you would loose some cash come selling day. Then again, if your planning on keeping it for years, the valuation might be such that it wouldn't matter to the next buyer anyway.

I'd definately take someone with you who can put their point of view accross without emotion though, to ensure you get the best deal. And possibly an independant mechanic to ensure that the structure hasn't been damaged (this can make cars weaker in the event of an accident). I'd also want to know what the hell they were playing at!

If/when you get it back, inspect it very thoroughly - and if your not happy with anything, then leave it there to be fixed.....

Good luck!

Please tell me you're going to pursue this further, I'd be so annoyed if you let them get away with it!![/QUOTE]

Cheers. Spoke to both my insurance company and the dealer this eve. The dealer assures me that the damage is fully repairable and the quote for the work is a couple of grand. I have asked for a copy of the quote, plus a copy of the report sent to their insurers, detailing circumstances of accident, damage and repair quote. Plus once the work is done original reciepts from their body shop.

I think they may have realised i'm not going to roll over and take it, even if i did cry at the state of my car! Soft northern s***e that i am!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom