1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. Dark band appeared

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    A few days ago I noticed a band down the left hand side of the image, about a foot wide on a 92" wide screen. This band is only noticeable during dark scenes and particularly during the credits at the end of a film but is , nonetheless, very irritating.

Anyone got any ideas what this may be. Projector is a Barco 701s.

Thanks.

2. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If your using a Quadscan then that is almost certainly the culprit. Ive had the same problem but only on Sky because it is only apparent when using the composite or s vid inputs it does no show when using component inputs.

Hope this helps.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Alan. I am using a Quadscan but only see it when using a component input (not when using S-VHSA). Strange. It has also only appeared in the last week or so. I'm hoping to get the latest firmware upgrade in the next week or so so let's hope that will fix it.

I was beginning to think it may be the projector so glad it is not.

Thanks again.

On another note. Do you find the QS darkens the image when compared to a direct S-Vid feed? This is another thing I am hoping the firmware upgrade will sort out. Thanks.

4. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I do find the Quadscan crushes the black detail, I was advised by Chris Frost who set up my Projector that this is the case and that it may be advisable to run the quadscan with a raised brightness. Several other forum members have noticed this and some of them run the Quadscan with the brightness raised from the default 16 to about 20 to 25

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, run mine with a brightness of 20. Any more and I find the picture starts to get washed out. Now thinking of going for a Seleco 700 and CS2. Hopefully having a demo at owl next week.

Anyone know how much better (or not) the Seleco HDG700 will be compared to a Barco 701S?

Thanks.

6. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi messiah, I have a quadscan pro too and was interested in finding out more info on the firmware upgrade. Where?, how much? and what upgrade version is it? (I currently have 2.55) Thanks

regards FRANC

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi franc

You'll need to contact Owl Video. No indication of cost yet. they are waiting for some EPROMs from FE in the US. I think the latest version is 2.86.

Do you have any problems with dark detail and the dreaded left hand edge band.

Thanks.

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Alan

You were spot on. Didn't realise that the QS was set for S-VHSA input (that's the problem with no on screen graphics :( ). Checked tonight and no black band on component input. Spot on.

Just hoping the firmware upgrade now gets rid of it.

Neil

9. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi messiah , Using component so never see the black band. I seem to notice when playing Pal dvds the issue with dark detail is evident but NTSC dvds look fantastic. I have read on AVS that different units were designed for the different regions i.e US, Jap, Europe etc and wondered if this had anything to do with it. Watched the new Glengarry Glen Ross reg 1 the other day on it, great picture, and what a movie!

regards FRANC

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nice one. Just watched MIIB tonight (no comment on the film :( ) bt the picture was awesome - particularly after I realised the contrast was set down at 18 (from tweaking the other night). Pushed her backed to 70 and wow! these things blow your socks off - and that's without the sound.

Can't see me going back to a LCD/DLP for quite some time (other than for gaming). I love this thing :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.