Help - Dansai 852 (Tesco's DVD Player) Won't remember RBG setting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tempest, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    After reading the MANY excellent comments about this budget (does it all) player, I finally could not hold out any more and bought one from Tesco's last night.

Thoughts so far, well, Admittedly the front does have rather a cheap feel, but hey it's £99 we're looking at here.

The Remote seems well made and looks fine.
    The player itself is VERY quiet.

But anyway.... I have done the region free hack (which does not sem to be the same one as most people post here)
    I needed to use Setup, then STOP PREV NEXT

Anyone been there done that.

The TV I'm running it on it quite an old (10 years?) but still looking brand new 27" Sony Nicam (was top of the range back then)

This TV has 2 scarts. Scart 1 being wired for RGB (which I use for a games console)

This set produces a MUCH MUCH better picture when being driven from a RGB Component source that composite.

So I have my new Dansai connected to my Sony via the Dansai supplied Scart lead into Scart 1 on the Sony.

By default the signal reverts to Composite, but you can press the V-MODE button on the remote to flip to RGB which then looks superb on this set (better than some new one's I've seen)

So, great I thought, I'm running RGB and it's superb.

But the problem is when I switch the DVD player back to standby or just turn it off and then back on again it reverts back to composite and I have to press the V-MODE button again (3 presses) to get back to RGB.

Someone else on another forum is having the same problem as me... wheras someone else says theirs stays on RGB fine.

I rang Tesco helpline who pretty much said look on the Internet!

Do you think it could be something to do with my TV not telling the DVD player it CAN do RGB (switching line not connected in the supplied scart)
    Has anyone else got this happening ?

Can anyone suggest anything ?

Many thanks (If you've managed to read down this far)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tempest

I have exactly the same problem using a Philips Widescreen TV - It will not remember RGB setting.

Another problem is automatic widescreen switching - It doesn't do it! - Its pretty annoying especially when your DVD title contains a mixture of 4/3 and widescreen material.

One last gripe - I connected the audio outputs to my HI-FI and noticed that the audio balance is way out - one channel a lot louder than the other, Have you tried this?

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    Don't think we are alone on this one. A person called " jerryhayle" on the DVD Forums has exactly the same issue. I'm not totally convinced it IS the players. I think it may be the TV or Cable that are the issue.... Perhaps some TV's or Cables do not have the right signals going down them to keep this mode selected.

Regards your sound balance issue. I just burned a CDR full of MP3 tracks as a 1st ever test and magically this wonderful £99 player played with perfect I also put in a normal Audio CD and also perfect. The sound quality and balance seems fine to me, as far as I can tell, the speaker channels sound about the same levels.

As regards the auto switching for widescreen, sorry I've yet to invest in a widescreen TV so can't help you with this one.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this RGB setting thing. Some people swear that it DOES hold the setting, but to be honest I'm even wondering if they in fact do.

From reading others posts, some TV's don't seem to show much difference between RGB and Composite. Wheras my Sony shows a MASSIVE difference. Perhaps these people who say it's working only THINK it's working as they can't see the difference.....

Just to say, for anyone watching, when in RGB mode on my Sony TV it's produces a fantastic super sharp clear cracking picture. I don't know how it could be any better, and for £99 with all the extras (region free, macrovision free, MP3 etc) it's a bargain.
    OK, the facia may feel a bit cheap, but hey, it's what it DOES that's the main issue :D

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried using another fully wired SCART cable but get the same results, so I firmly believe it IS the players fault for not remembering the RGB setting. It's not a good sign actually when you can only set it via the remote and not in any menu.

Will probably take mine back to TESCO's for a replacement because of my sound problem - then again the whole batch could be faulty - will let you know how I get on.

A pity the player doesn't seem to have a support website where you could download new firmware.

5. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    Take it back soon PLEASE !!! A.S.A.P

The sound thing (assuming all else in your setup is OK) is prob just the 1 player as not heard anyone say that before.

I'd like to know if the RGB thing is just how it is.. It's a little annoyance, but pressing a button 3 times is not exactly the end of the world really considering everything else it does.

I'd like to know if your new player is any different re the RGB issue, as if it's the same then they are probably all lile that and I won't worry about it, just accept it.

Yes, a support download/firmware page would be very good indeed.

Please hurry and get ot changed so you can report back and put me our of my misery
    :) :) :)