• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help : Custom PC magazine HTPC build

DuncanL

Standard Member
Hello

I'm looking to build the machine as outlined in the above mentioned magazine.

The spec i have so far is :

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Case Antec Fusion
Memory ?
motherboard Abit Il - 90MV
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...&pPRODINFO=Specifications&fSEARCHTEXT=iL-90MV

TV Tuner Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
OS Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Premium x32Bit (DVD) -
HD Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200RPM 16MB

Being new to this I have some questions that I would appreciate some advice on :

1. Is the processer suitable as it FSB rating is higher than the boards ??
2. Any recommendations on memory, most likely go for 2mb ?
3. Would this take a new graphics card in future for playing simple games (point and click type for the wife !).
4. I think the board is only SATA I, would a SATA II (or 300) be compatible ?

Many thanks
Duncan

bcopping

I think that board only supports mobile prcessors. so for core 2 duo you would have to use one of the following porcessors T7600 T7400 T7200 T5600 T5500.

The board only has a pci-e x1 slot so grapics card upgrade is not realy possible, could get one for the pci slot but it probably wouldnt be all that good.

SATA II is compatible with SATA I the hard drives normaly have a jumper on them to slow them down to SATA I speeds

bcopping

You are probably better off going with something like the Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD

It is matx, takes the Core 2 Duo E6300, has SATA II, has onboard hdmi capable of 1080p & a pci-e x16 slot so you can upgrade the graphics if needed

adamukkent

Standard Member
You are probably better off going with something like the Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD

It is matx, takes the Core 2 Duo E6300, has SATA II, has onboard hdmi capable of 1080p & a pci-e x16 slot so you can upgrade the graphics if needed

Hi

I dont know if im being stupid but i have looked around, how many normal PCI slots does it have?

DuncanL

Standard Member
Thanks for your help on this. The spec I have put together is below. Main use will be a media center pc in study/kids room. Does it all make sense ?

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86ghz) Socket 775 Fsb1066 2mb Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Case
Antec Fusion MATX MediaCenter Case - Aluminium Front Bezel with 430W PSU

Memory
Crucial 1GB 240-PIN DIMM UNBUFF DDR2 PC5300

Motherboard
ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD Socket 775 Radeon Xpress 1250 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX

TV Tuner
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500

OS
Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Premium x32Bit (DVD) - 1PK

HD
Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

I've look at the spec for the motheboard and it doesn't claim to be Viiv compliant. I presume this is due to the graphics chipset ? Should this cause me too much oncern ?

Also, the expansion slots are :

1 * PCI-E X16
1 * PCI-E X 1
1* PCI

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom