1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! CRT, Rear Projection or Plasma?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sasquatch, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new to the forum and I need some help!

OK,

I am in the market for a new TV, the rest of my system is sorted, what do I buy!

I need a component input for my Pioneer DVD656A.

I like the look of the Toshiba 36ZD26P, and it is getting wicked reviews.

but . . .

will it be big enough for movies?

should I look at 42" - 50" rear projection TVs?

Should I save my pennies for a "budget" Plasma from the likes of Richer Sounds?

I have around £1500 now, or could save more and wait a bit!

Help!

Cheers,

Steve

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used all kinds of TVs and monitors for years in all sort of conditions...

Plasmas are very, very sexy!

The look the business, but like all fast ladies, can be troublesome and you kind of get what you pay for.

They are getting better and cheaper all the time and soon will be in thousands of homes when the price drops to £1200 or so.

Rear projections models have much to recommend them, but they need to have their convergence nursed along at regular intervals and you need to view them at the right height.

CRT sets will become dinosaurs in the next ten years - they are far too bulky and heavy and the big sets often suffer from all sorts of geometry problems.

If dosh is no object I'd go for a quality plasma, but if like me, your budget is more limited, I am very happy with my rear projection set which gives massive pictures which are excellent from all digital sources.

I have a 42" widescreen job which blows away the previous 32" CRT model I had.

So to recap - RP more than good if set up properly from digi source...

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks

Shopping trip in Jan

I will keep an open mind!

Used to be easy, buy the biggest telly you can afford! :D