Help creating my own DVD

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul O, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, can anyone help me?!

I am trying to create a mini-DVD (using a CD-R rather than DVD-R).

I have created the .VOB files and associated .BUP and .IFO files. However, when then burn these onto the CD-R, my Panasonic DVD player won't recognise the disc. It is capable of playing CD-Rs.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?? I am using the Demo of Quick Builder.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey dude,
    Im very interested in the kinda project that your makin' ('MiniDVDs' and homemade VCDs etc.)
    I must admit i have no experience actually trying this stuff out but have done a little research into it...
    Concerning your 'MiniDVD' i think the problem is not your files (.VOB etc.) on the disc, but the media itself. I recon (this is just an educated guess) that your DVD player isn't plaing the video 'cos it recognises the CD-R as a CD-ROM, and won't play whether the files are valid or not. I bet, however, that with a bit of fidlin' you can play the video using a PC DVD drive because, theoretically, the type of media is ignored by PCs and only the valid files used.

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Satanslapdog

Thanks for the info, and I think you are right. I have tried using a different DVD creator called DVD motion (30 day shareware trial - bargain!). The help file on this product also says that the DVD makers have chosen (in their wisdom) not to support the DVD video format on normal CD-Rs. The disc, as you correctly say, will run on my PC as though it was a normal DVD, although I have yet to figure out how to get Dolby Digital from my PC (although admittedly I havent actually tried yet due to the Home Cinema equipment being in another room to the PC - doh!).

In case you (or anyone else) is interested, I believe that you can create a DVD quality movie on a normal CD-R by using the Super VCD format. Although I am pretty sure that you loose digital audio and can only have Pro-Logic at best.

If you need any more info or web sources for VCD/S-VCD/DVD creation, please let me know, and I'll send you the information that I have and details of the products which I am using.

All this for a few camcorder tapes and demo screens! Damn, this can easily become an expensive business!

Thanks again,

Paul.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only 2 Standalone DVD Players (at the moment) have the ability to play mini-DVDs (the DVD FAQ mentions them)

The DVD Drive in most players is not fast enough for mini-DVD playback (most are 1 or 2 speed. At least 4 speed is required)

The 2 players are both budget models and so may be based around a DVD-ROM drive and PC hardware decoder.

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the info!

Do you know which 2 players these are??

Cheers,

Paul.

6. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure how you would go about making DVD's on a normal CD player [​IMG]

Making VCD's is easy and these will play in a lot of Home DVD players.

All you need to do is create an MPEG1 file with the right dimensions 352x288 (I think) and the right audio format and then use Nero to create a Video CD.

This will create a VCD compliant film and each disk should hold about 72 mins of film.

Take a look at http://www.vcdhelper.com for more information

[This message has been edited by dmckillop (edited 07-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dmckillop (edited 07-02-2001).]