Help creating field recordings with video

dunc1n

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have been into watching/listening ambiance videos on youtube (rain falling on a tent, ocean sounds etc) to help me meditate and sometimes to help me sleep, and since moving to a remote location, I have found some amazing spots near me and I would like to start creating my own ambiance/field recording videos.

I have scoured the web on field recording, and got a load of info on microphones etc and I think I am going to go with the Zoom H4N PRO for the sound recording and just use my Google pixel phone for the video recording. My phone's video recording is not too bad and I may upgrade to a better camera in due course, but for now all I can afford is a good mic (which is the most important part for what I want to achieve).

My question to you guys is... How do I combine the two? Do I just record on them both at the same time and combine them in free editing software in the post production stage? Or is there a way to actually use the external mic with a camera?

As you can probably tell, I am a total noob at this, so please be gentle with your responses lol.

Thanks in advance guys

Dunc1n

MarkE19

The easiest way with the equipment you have is to record the audio on both devices. Then in a video editor you can just replace the audio on the video with the audio from the Zoom recorder. As it is ambient sound there is no issue with getting the video & audio exactly in sync, just get it close should be good enough.

If in the future you get a dedicated camcorder make sure it has a mic input and then you can plug the mic directly into the camcorder, otherwise just keep doing the 2 recordings and combine in post.

Regards,
Mark.

Terfyn

I have been into watching/listening ambiance videos on youtube (rain falling on a tent, ocean sounds etc) to help me meditate and sometimes to help me sleep, and since moving to a remote location, I have found some amazing spots near me and I would like to start creating my own ambiance/field recording videos.
First do you need video? If it is sounds you want then a picture is not reallynecessary - is it?

The "perfect" audio recorder (in my opinion and because I have got one) is a Tascam DR-60D Mk2. It is an audio recorder which will take a range of mics, provide quality recording on a SD card and supplies a direct mic input to a camcorder (as MarkE10 suggested)
Obviously you can listen directly from the Tascam or you can download on to a MP3 player.

I use mine to provide good audio which can then be combined with the video using the audio track on the video to align both up in my video editor.

In practice good audio is created with the mic close to the sound source and good video filmed from a distance. So it would suggest that two instruments would work better than a combined unit such as a camcorder. Plus a recorder such as the Tascam would give you a choice of mics and line inputs, I run mine with a matched pair of Behringer C-2 condenser mics. (I also use a 5V Power Bank to support the Tascam batteries when using Phantom Power required by these mics.)

12harry

Distinguished Member
Both good answers, although I also wonder why OP includes video? - perhaps it's to identify what each recording is ( Or you can just talk to the recorder at Start/Finish.).
However, almost any recorder should do the job well enough... I used to use a tape radio/recorder (with an added mic pre-amp ), on many early outdoor sessions...... Personally, for bed-time sleep I find a restricted Freq. range is best . . . and avoid any sudden noises, however much they are "real" . . .
+ There should be plenty of free Atmospheric audio files on the Internet, - saving lots of time/effort. An Audio editor, like Matrix/Sony Sound Forge Studio, can enable plenty of editing/looping/distorting - if any is needed.
+ I have a H4N... but find the file-system a real hinderence. My favoured "PalmTrack" died after drop-test and is no longer supplied by Alesis. It had a good/simple menu - but could have been improved with a larger screen and C-cell batteries, - Their chosen name may well have restricted design options..... such a pity.

Cheers....

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom