• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help Converting DVD Collection on to HDD

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, I've got absolutely no idea about copying DVDs onto my networked hard drive and am just going round in circles trying to find a solution.

I've got a 1tb NAS which won't be getting upgraded for a while yet so I'm looking to convert my DVD collection onto a small-ish (circa 1.5gb) format. I'm getting totally confused about what is the best way to do this, has anyone got any noob-friendly advice?

As far as I can gather I need to get a programme which will allow me to download the film from disc onto my laptop hdd intially and then run a converter to change this from the dvd quality (is it an ISO file?!) into something a little smaller and more manageable, I've seen folks talk about AutoGK and a few other programmes but it always seems like one forum thread says one thing and another says another.

I'm not worried about retaining 5.1 audio, a clear stereo is fine for me and I'm also not looking to be spending any money (if at all possible) - obviously if I need to spend money to do this then that might just be the route I need to go down but it would be preferable to go down the free option.

I know this is probably second nature to folks and feel like a bit of a **** for not being able to figure it all out but just honestly feel like i'm banging my head against a wall most of the time when I'm trying to search the net for a workable solution. Thanks for any help!

niall campbell

Established Member
you will need a DVD encrypter first

then use freemake .com ( free ) to then convert it to Divx or AVi

if you convert to Divx or AVi then most DLNA equipment like TVs ( Including SMART TV ) , blu ray players, xbox , PS 3 , iphone/ipod touch with media connect will play them. Dont use DIVX HD/ + !

ideally you want a NAS with an ethernet connection

niall campbell

Established Member
put the files to 1080p as well

MKV is really popular but its a huge file. Divx is good quality and smaller . MKV converted to Divx is also good quality

a problem you may find is in the frame rate. I struggled with the frame rate a lot !! and gave up doing what you are doing

matoco1

Standard Member
I use imTOO dvd ripper platinum. Can't remember how much it cost but it will rip the dvd into almost any file type you like. Uses multi core to speed up conversion and lets you change settings to determine the output file size.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
So downloaded Freemake, started looking into things and my laptop died a death :( finally got round to replacing it and running through my first backup. I was trying on the film 'Moon' initially but it looks like that's got encryption that I'm not able to get through with the programmes I've got, is this a fairly rare occurrence? I've tried Happy Feet (got to choose one the other half likes lol) and this is working as my test piece.

What settings do you use Niall? Do you output at 1080p quality?

*EDIT*

Hmm, just looked at Happy Feet on the xbox and it's stuttering, I only did a single pass when I ripped this, would a second pass at the encoding stage help eliminate this?

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
If your on wireless stuttering means your network is too slow to feed video to the media player. If your on wired ethernet then there could be a problem with the encode.

If you want to generate good quality videos this is how;
1) Rip the DVD with MakeMKV - take only the main movie, untick the other streams (click the + symbol to expand).
2) Input the MPEG-2/MKV file into Handbrake (I recommend getting nightly build instead of official build).
3) In Handbrake select the High Profile preset and set MP4 as the container, untick the large file size option (needed for Xbox 360 compatibility), if using nightly click add button to save as new Xbox preset.
4) Click start to begin conversion.

This will give you a very high quality H.264/M4V video that will play on the Xbox 360.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I'm on a wireless network so will try wired, everything else I've streamed from my NAS has worked fine though (up until recently when I started getting errors about xbox not playing AVI format but that's another issue :)) so I know the link between HDD and xbox is ok to support video. The videos look like they're dropping every second or third frame so the there isn't a smooth transition when the camera pans, it's like lots of snapshots one after the other.

Using the process you've listed, what sort of file size will I end up with? I only have 1TB of storage available and won't be upgrading any time soon unfortunately! I think the issue is more to do with the frame rate rather than the wireless/wired connection but will try a cable and see if that sorts it.

What should the frame rate be set at for xbox viewing? 60hz 720p are the settings I'm using on the xbox.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Wee bit of an update, I contacted freemake's facebook and they advised the issue was to do with the input of the DVD frame rate needing to match the output, after you insert a DVD it tells you what the input frame rate is so if you match that up on the output options it's a stutter-free video :) thanks for the advice

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
When you click the +DVD button you get the wee bar with film info on it, it shows the bitrate and sound stuff. On there is the FPS, all that I've done so far have been 25FPS so I'd imagine that's the fairly standard setting but will wait and see as I plough through the rest. I had to set a custom rip setting but just copied the 'to DVD' one and changed the FPS to 25 :)

From Freemake -

Freemake Hi,
It is depending on your input files settings
Please add all the files from your DVD Video_TS folder to freemake video covnerter, where you will be able to see your input files frame rate, then create a custom preset with the same frame rate value. Or select AVI same as source preset, which will keep your file's original settings.

Last edited:

paulbed4d

Established Member
Use DVD Fab Decrypter to rip to hard drive. Decrypts most things.
You can pay for it, but for ripping DVDs to HDD the free version is fine.
I then use freemake to convert to MP4

paulbed4d

Established Member
No, but freemaker does not decrypt.

If you are making a backup of a dvd that is already decrypted then just use Freemake and convert straight from DVD.

If you are making a back up of an encrypted DVD then use DVD Fab Decrypter first to rip to hard drive then convert using freemake.

Hope this helps

bez.59

Established Member
I have just started ripping my DVD's to my nas.

I found this video and it works perfectly for me and streams to the xbox.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur1BxrFuu4E]How to Rip DVD to AVI - 700MB? [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
No, but freemaker does not decrypt.

Ah, I'd downloaded DVD43 as well but that wouldn't work with 64bit Windows so I downloaded another programme that runs in the background decrypting whilst freemake does the work.

I'm presuming all retail discs come with encryption? If so then I know the other programe (DVD Ripper or something) is doing the job :)

paulbed4d

Established Member
Ah, I'd downloaded DVD43 as well but that wouldn't work with 64bit Windows so I downloaded another programme that runs in the background decrypting whilst freemake does the work.

I'm presuming all retail discs come with encryption? If so then I know the other programe (DVD Ripper or something) is doing the job :)

Sounds like it. Did you pay for the other program. I'd be interested to get a link to the site where you downloaded it from. Cheers

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
http://m.lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

That's just a mobile view link but the website is the same I just did a google search for 'best free DVD ripping' and the life hacker website link is there, the programme is under the honourable mention section and is the third honorable mention called DVD Rip, you can do ripping through this programme as well I think but I just stayed with freemake

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom