1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Connection problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Steven1886, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Steven1886

Steven1886

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. first time user of the site and dont know if i am posting this in the right place but here i go. Basically i have problems connecting various devices and am looking for help and advice on how to do this. i recently purchased a home dvd cinema system which i had no bother connecting to my tv. i also purchased a new free view box, a sony one which has the connection for audio output to be connected to a hi-fi/speaker system. i have the optical cable which i plugged from the freeview box to the dvd system and nothing happens. i only have on scart socket at the back of my tv which is connected to a manual 3 way switcher scart socket. now to use the freeview box the scart switcher has to be set to the freeview box switch, however as i am able to hear sounds when using the dvd system on its own with the tv off i am a bit confused (as this thread is by the looks of it). basically i am looking to be able to connect everything up so that i can use the freeview box and the dvd system ie the speaks and surround sound at the same time. obviously a dvd wont be playing, i just want the sound to come through the speakers instead of from the tv. any help on this matter would be much appreciated. cheers

2. Ozimandius

Ozimandius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When you say that you bought a DVD home cinema system - is it one of the ones where you get a DVD player and a number of sattelite speakers, but nothing else?
    (rather like this one: http://ws2.richersounds.com/showbig...icture&pid=PION-DCS323&fname=small_302614.jpg)

If that's the case, then plugging the optical cable from the DVB (freeview) box won't work as the optical port on the DVD will be for output only.

From what I can gather, the best way to get what you want would be to run the SCARTs from the DVD and DVB into your switcher (check that the cables are have all pins - some scarts don't carry an audio signal, usually the cheapy ones) - then run the switcher to the back of the telly.

For sound, unless you can attach the speakers to the telly instead of the DVD, you can't run it through anything other than the telly without using an amp/reciever.

Hope this helps

Oz