• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help connecting Xtreamer to VGA port

joshreade

Hi everyone

I am trying to connect my Xtreamer to my projector, The projector only has Red/White/Yellow connections and VGA. At the moment I connect my blu-ray player to it with a cable which is VGA one end and component the other, and the projector picks up the signal as 720p, which I guess means the projector supports component over VGA. Does any one know the cheapest and easiest way of doing this? (I am not worried about audio as I will be using the optical)

Many Thanks

Josh

next010

Distinguished Member
Yellow - composite video.

Buy a cheap component video splitter, plug the Blu-ray player and Xtreamer into that then plug the component->VGA adapter into it and the projector.

If the Xtreamer doesn't have component then your stuck with the composite video link. The only other option is to buy an expensive HDMI-VGA adapter then a VGA splitter for the Blu-ray player too.

Alternatively ditch the Xtreamer for a different media player with component video output like a Mede8er (similar Realtek chipset).

Last edited:

joshreade

Thanks for your reply.

The xtreamer doesn't have compenent output, I would use the composite but the main reason I bought the xtreamer was to play HD content.

I've seen online cables that are simply hdmi on one end and vga on the other, there only about £10 aswell, when I was looking for a way to connect the blu-ray to the projector everyone said I would need an expensive box of tricks but I'm just using a simple vga-component cable.

I've just also read about the revvo and xbmc live which seems like a better idea but I've only just paid out for the xtreamer

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply.

The xtreamer doesn't have compenent output, I would use the composite but the main reason I bought the xtreamer was to play HD content.

I've seen online cables that are simply hdmi on one end and vga on the other, there only about £10 aswell, when I was looking for a way to connect the blu-ray to the projector everyone said I would need an expensive box of tricks but I'm just using a simple vga-component cable.

I've just also read about the revvo and xbmc live which seems like a better idea but I've only just paid out for the xtreamer

Component and VGA are both analogue video signals. HDMI is not, it is digital and will require a signal conversion box in order to output a VGA signal.

If you can return the Xtreamer or sell it off to someone else and get the Mede8er or WDTV Live instead that would be to me the best and cheapest course of action.

If going down the Ion nettop running XBMC Live path with your setup the nettop must have a VGA output or DVI-I output but not DVI-D as DVI-I outputs digital and analogue video signals, DVI-D only does digital.

One last option buy a HDMI to component video adapter, connect that to the component splitter and cross your fingers that it all works with the component to VGA adapter on your projector.

Last edited:

joshreade

Ok thanks

Thinking about it my projector is on about 30% bulb life so I might even keep the Xtreamer and get a projector with HDMI. Ive just downloaded XBMC live and im running it on an old laptop I have, if I can work out how to use it I might go down that path

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom