Help connecting up AVR2807

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Palladio, May 7, 2007.

1. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm almost ready to start connecting up my new Denon AVR2807 and would really appreciate some advice on the best way of doing it before checking whether I've got the right cables.
    Equipment is Sky+ (Thompson box), Pioneer PDP 427XD with Oppo 981 on order and maybe a DVD recorder later on when funds allow.
    My thoughts are Oppo HDMI to Denon HDMI, Sky+ optical to Denon for Audio, Sky+ RGB scart to Pioneer scart, Denon HDMI to Pioneer HDMI. I'm sure there are other options but is this the best way to make it as simple as possible to operate and use.

Thinking ahead to the DVDR and assuming it has HDMI, I can connect that to the spare HDMI on the Denon and then presumably scart from Sky+ to the DVDR for recording stuff from sky+ to DVD and the same scart connection for recording old VHS videos from the VHS recorder as a one off exercise.

Any other help on setting things up more than welcomed. How much is it worth spending on these cables. Screen is about 2.5 mtrs away from the rest of the gear.

No plans for Sky HD or PS3 yet but you never know........:smashin:

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Sounds pretty good to me. :) Could also go S-Video from Sky+ (if the Thompson has it) into the Denon and get it to convert that to HDMI. It will de-interlace the signal in the process if you choose that option.

For cables have a look at www.markgrantcables.co.uk

Mark's a member on here and makes some decent stuff.

3. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    :hiya: Jase,
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you've been busy posting !!!:smashin:
    My thinking behind the 2 connections to the screen was that I think I can set up the screen differently according to the inputs. Lots of manuals to digest at the moment so not 100% sure.

There is an S video output on the Sky box that I could use into the Denon and this certainly would make for less and cheaper connections but would there be any difference in picture quality between the S video out and the RGB scart ?.

Also thinking it might be worthwhile connecting the optical audio out from the screen into the Denon.

I've checked the site but it looks like it's down for maintenance till Saturday.

4. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    RGB is better quality, and IMO sufficiently so as to be more important then the possible improvement in deinterlacing quality.

Will you actually be using the DVB tuner in the TV? If so then connect to the amp, if not why bother?

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Hmm. I don't necessarily agree that RGB is better. S-Video can look equally as good if not better in some cases. The only thing you'll probably lose going in via S-Video and out via HDMI is automatic aspect ratio switching.