Help connecting sub with Line In RCA L/R jacks

BritishDragon

Standard Member
I've just got a Monitor Audio GSW12 sub: rear panel shown here:

subv.jpg

At the moment I have a REL strata 5 which is connected to my Pioneer processor/amp by LFE. It is also connected by Neutrik speakon cable to my Arcam power/integrated amps (which power the main fronts). This means I can play a cd through the arcam cd unit through the arcam amps, independant of the Pioneer amp which is reponsible for the satellite surrounds only (for home cinema). Obviously for home cinema, I use pre-out's for the main front left/right from the pioneer amp to the arcam amps otherwise I get no sound from the main fronts.

The neutrik speakon cable is a 3-wire cable (yellow/black/red) which is connected to my arcam power amp at the SP2 speaker binding posts, with the SP2 switch on the front switched on.

However, the monitor audio sub does not have a neutrik speakon input. It has LFE which is fine for input from the pioneer amp for home cinema use, but how do I connect it to the arcam amps for general cd/tape deck use? As you can see by the diagram above, it has R/L Line In RCA inputs which it specifies are for Stereo/2 channel Amp

Diagram of my arcam 8 amps

arcamg.jpg

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Use the pre-amp out L/R jacks to the line in L/R inputs on the sub. You will have to set the crossover independently on the sub for this though, and you will have to try match it to your speakers specs.

So if your speakers are say rated down to 50hz, you should probably try a cross over of about 60hz. Do you have the ability though to use the line in and LFE channels simultaneously on the MA sub. If not, you'll have to use the LFE channel for movies if you want to use the normal way of getting the .1 signal of your movies, then change to line in for your 2 channel music playback. The sub might do it automatically for you though, in that it may use the LFE as default, and only use line in when the LFE isnt present.

edit: just had a look and the line in and LFE inputs are switchable by remote so that is fine. Further more the sub has its own presets so once they are set up you can easily switch it between one setting for music and another for movies. Its good that MA have taken the time to properly give all the necessary remote functions the subs design really needs for end user satisfaction..

Last edited by a moderator:

BritishDragon

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.

Yes the MA sub does accept both and switches accordingly - it can be done by remote control.

The pre-amp L/R jacks on the Int Amp (no.5) are already spoken for as they are connected to the Pwr Amp In L/R jacks on the Power amp (no.5). The main fronts are bi-amped/bi-wired.

??

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Then you should be able to use the tape out in the same way. Another option would be to add a splitter the the pre-out for the sub to connect into at the same time.

One thing though, and I'm not sure exactly about this myself, check the power amp manual to see what the link jacks (number 6) are for. These may well be a signal pass through output for exactly something like this. I cant tell you without the manual, so you need to check mate :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

BritishDragon

Standard Member
I've just tried the tape out's. It did indeed provide output to the sub, but volume was independant of the arcam control. I could turn the arcam volume to zero and the sub was still trundling along unabated, and could be controlled with the sub volume remote controller. This means that volumes are not uniform which is a pain in the proverbial.

The number 6 link jacks are:

"MONO LINK
The Alpha 8P can be adapted to provide two mono loudspeaker outputs from a single input. Pull out the U-link supplied and use it to connect the MONO LINK sockets together.
Utilising one Alpha 8P power amplifier per loudspeaker will enable you to bi-amplify bi-wirable speakers."

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Ah, its a few years since I tinkered with a tape out so I forgot its a fixed line output :D:suicide:.

I guess that leaves you with a 'Y' spitter then mate :smashin:

BritishDragon

Standard Member
How/where would I connect the Y to the amp? Would it be the Pre-Amp socket(s) - Left or Right? Or both (2 Y's)?

I'm assuming once done that the volume would correspond with that of the amp and thus main speakers (though I could obviously set the gain on the sub to get it set up correctly)

I've been thinking. Since the REL's neutrik cable was connected to the SP2 speaker outputs on the Power amp, is it possible to use these speaker outputs and then use phono jacks at the other end to connect to the MA sub??

I'm guessing this might have been a suggestion earlier had it been possible?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom