Help: Connecting SKY HD via DVI-D

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MSW, Dec 29, 2006.

1. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    My main TV has stopped working. Not the end of the world, I have moved bedroom TV which is HD ready into lounge.

On closer inspection I note that the bedroom TV does not have HDMI but it does have a DVI-D.

Am I correct that I can display a HD Picture via this DVI-D input by simply putting a HDMI to DVI-D adaptor onto my existing HDMI lead and connecting up. Also, will this style of conection carry sound and, if not, how do I get sound to this TV when the TV is set to DVI-D input

Many thanks

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    DVI-D will work with an adapter with no difference in picture at all BUT you will have no sound. TVs with DVI nearly always have a 3.5mm stereo jack input for audio which you will need to connect to the analogue RCA outputs of your SkyHD box with a lead like this.

Most shops that sell leads will sell them. Maplins or even Currys etc. will stock them but at a much higher price than the link above!

3. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have done this, & it works fine, just to see if it worked OK for when I got an uscaling dvd player, my mate & I argueed over whether the picture quality changed but I definitely had to tweak the settings. As the other answer says it has to have a linked audio connection for you to run seperate audio leads from the sky box to the TV

4. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    The reason you had to tweak the settings will be because your TV stores different contrast, brightness and other settings for the different inputs. The digital video signals that DVI-D and HDMI provide are exactly the same, just on a different connector.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    Hello marksimonwright

For your DVI-D Input to work with SKY HD (or any other HDMI equipped Source) you need to ensure the Display is HDCP compliant plus the Display works with 720p and or 1080i at 50Hz on its Digital Input.

The actual cable is the simple bit - installing an HDMI to DVI cable is not a guarantee of you seeing an image.

Best regards

Joe