1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help connecting PC to Hi Fi

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by acabral, Feb 3, 2005.

1. acabral

acabral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to connect my PC to my stereo system ensuring the highest possible quality ( I have quite a good stereo, but its the first time I try to connect to my PC).

1 - As I load my CDs into my computer (using Itunes for example) does it make any difference the quality of the CD drive in my PC regarding final music quality ?
    2 - Is there any way to ensure that the CDs are loaded into the PC with no loss of digital information (which would come from encriptation for example) ?
    2 - What is the best way to connect the PC to a pre-amp to ensure best sound quality? Should I connect the pre-amp directly to de PC? If yes, what cable? If not, should I use an external digital to analog converter (if this exists) ?

I am willing to spend some money, but I need to know if it would make a difference.

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for any help

ac

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

To answer your questions.

1) In my experience drive quality by and large is irrelevent, data is extracred digitally via the system bus and so isn't subject to 'jitter' as on S/PDIF connections for example.

2) There is no encryption on audio CDs (and never could be), though a few copy-protection mechanisms are being tried. Software such as AnyDVD is offering ways around these as and when they can break then.

3) If you're going to feed analog out of the PC then something like an M-Audio Revolution seems to be popular by those looking for good quality audio output.