Help connecting Panasonic HC-V770 to field monitor

Nuke Laloosh

Novice Member
Reaction score
If anyone could provide advice on the required settings I would be indebted.
If this information is in the manuals, I am not technologically literate enough to pull it out.
From the research I have done, it isn't clear to me if I can indeed actually connect to a field monitor during live recording or whether it would only be possible to play back images or video.
Thanks in advance.

I've used a Lilliput 7" 5DII monitor with my V750 when recording. This camera has a mini-HDMI (C-type) output. The V770 has a micro-HDMI (D-type) output. From my experience on this type of connector on a Pentax K-3 when shooting athletics, the micro-HDMI connector is less reliable in the field.

220px-Mini_micro_HDMI_Stecker_by_NicoJenner.jpg

D-type, C-type, A-type.
(From HDMI - Wikipedia)

With both the V750 and V770, you won't get any HDMI when recording slo-mo, but you will when playing it back. (I've used this for slo-mo review to assist coaching discus and high jump.) With other recording modes, you will see HDMI output when recording and playing back.

K3_60136.jpg

K3_60139.jpg

K3_60140.jpg

The related settings on the V770 are Menu | Setup | HDMI RESOLUTION ("AUTO" is the default and should be OK) and Menu | Setup | EXT. DISPLAY ("SIMPLE", "DETAILED", "OFF". Use "SIMPLE").

The Feelworld FW760 7" Field Monitor looks interesting. I'm not sure if its latency would make it suitable for covering fast action/sports. All ext. monitors will have a bit of processing latency, but I think the cheaper so-called "4K" monitors (i.e. can handle 4K-input without choking; the display resolution is lower) will have the greatest lag. I'm not sure how much delay there is when handing 1080p input.

[SHORT REVIEW] Feelworld FW760 7" Field Monitor

Dan.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post. I have an Aputure VS-2 FineHD Monitor. I can't even seem to get an image on the monitor when it's plugged into the camera via the micro hdmi port. If it should just 'show up' - then either I've got settings wrong for the monitor, the micro hdmi port isn't good.

Nuke, you could try forcing the camera's HDMI output resolution to 1080p.

To test the camera's HDMI port & lead, what happens if you plug the HDMI lead from the camera into your TV? You should see your recording screen unless you have the EXT. DISPLAY set to "OFF". (Turn down your TV's volume when you do this or you may get audio-feedback howl.)

Dan.

Last edited:
I've used a Lilliput 7" 5DII monitor with my V750 when recording. This camera has a mini-HDMI (C-type) output. The V770 has a micro-HDMI (D-type) output. From my experience on this type of connector on a Pentax K-3 when shooting athletics, the micro-HDMI connector is less reliable in the field.

220px-Mini_micro_HDMI_Stecker_by_NicoJenner.jpg

D-type, C-type, A-type.
(From HDMI - Wikipedia)

With both the V750 and V770, you won't get any HDMI when recording slo-mo, but you will when playing it back. (I've used this for slo-mo review to assist coaching discus and high jump.) With other recording modes, you will see HDMI output when recording and playing back.

K3_60136.jpg

K3_60139.jpg

K3_60140.jpg

The related settings on the V770 are Menu | Setup | HDMI RESOLUTION ("AUTO" is the default and should be OK) and Menu | Setup | EXT. DISPLAY ("SIMPLE", "DETAILED", "OFF". Use "SIMPLE").

The Feelworld FW760 7" Field Monitor looks interesting. I'm not sure if its latency would make it suitable for covering fast action/sports. All ext. monitors will have a bit of processing latency, but I think the cheaper so-called "4K" monitors (i.e. can handle 4K-input without choking; the display resolution is lower) will have the greatest lag. I'm not sure how much delay there is when handing 1080p input.

[SHORT REVIEW] Feelworld FW760 7" Field Monitor

Dan.

Dan, this is great. It's the closest thing I have found so far to my answer. I wondered though if you could answer a few more questions for me. I have a Panasonic V770 and have been using it to film both my sons soccer games. I have been using the Wi-Fi to link to my phone as I have it on a large pole about 10 feet in the air. The problem I have run into is there are times when the picture on my phone freezes and can take several seconds for it to catch up to what is going on on the field. So I end up pointing the camera and hoping it's close to what I am shooting. So I have been trying to find a way to directly link it a tablet or laptop via hdmi in hopes it would take that freeze problem out of it. But when I link up the hdmi from camera to laptop I can't get a picture to come up. Like the other guy, when I plug it into my TV it pops right up. Do you know if there is a way to get it to come up on a laptop or tablet? Also, I don't mind buying one of the small displays like the one you have set up on your camera if that's the only way to get it to work with a cable but my other main concern is being able to control the camera while it is 10 to 15 feet in the air. Do you know if you can do that from one of those small screens or a laptop? Last question, do you know if it is possible to stream to youtube live while recording to laptop or SD Card at the same time and if so, how would you do it? Thanks in advance for all your help!!

So I have been trying to find a way to directly link it a tablet or laptop via hdmi in hopes it would take that freeze problem out of it. But when I link up the hdmi from camera to laptop I can't get a picture to come up.

The HDMI socket on a laptop is for OUTPUT, not INPUT. You need an ext. monitor with a HDMI INPUT socket. The shape of the socket is the same - you can't tell unless it's labelled whether it's for output or input.

Similarly, the HDMI socket on the camcorder is only for output, not input.

In contrast, in the good old day of miniDV, the IEEE1394/Firewire socket on these cameras could be used for both output and input.

Dan.

Last edited:
Do you know if you can do that from one of those small screens or a laptop?
The camera control is via a SmartPhone App. If your laptop will run this app then you will have control over a limited distance. You may also be aware that the App will also control the Panasonic VW-CTR1 pan/tilt head so you will have zoom and camera direction under remote control.

If you can convert the HDMI (or the A/V) output to USB, you may stand a chance of viewing and transmitting to YT. Obviously you cannot use the laptop for control and YT transmission at the same time.
The 750 and, presumably, the 770 will output on HDMI or A/V while recording to the SD card. Try to split the actions you want into small steps i.e. connect to laptop (if that is possible using a USB converter) then laptop to YT Example of A/V to USB:- EZCAP.TV 116 EzCAPTURE USB 2.0 Video Capture Device
Another option which you could try is Live Cast. See your user manual p175. This will obviously depend on the quality of the local Wi-Fi in your area.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, that explains why I can't get it to pull upon my laptop!

The camera control is via a SmartPhone App. If your laptop will run this app then you will have control over a limited distance. You may also be aware that the App will also control the Panasonic VW-CTR1 pan/tilt head so you will have zoom and camera direction under remote control.

If you can convert the HDMI (or the A/V) output to USB, you may stand a chance of viewing and transmitting to YT. Obviously you cannot use the laptop for control and YT transmission at the same time.
The 750 and, presumably, the 770 will output on HDMI or A/V while recording to the SD card. Try to split the actions you want into small steps i.e. connect to laptop (if that is possible using a USB converter) then laptop to YT Example of A/V to USB:- EZCAP.TV 116 EzCAPTURE USB 2.0 Video Capture Device
Another option which you could try is Live Cast. See your user manual p175. This will obviously depend on the quality of the local Wi-Fi in your area.

Terfyn, not going to lie, some of this was over my head LOL. Still a novice to this filming thing as I am just getting going. So, to clarify, I do use the SmartPhone App. right now to control zoom and to start and stop my recording as my camera is 15 feet in the air. I also watch what is being filmed from the app which is where my lag comes in using the Wi-Fi from the camera. It sounds like it will be quite the chore to get my laptop to be able to 1)show picture and 2) control the camera. So I am fine getting one of those smaller screens to do that with. The question I am wondering is, can I use my app to run the camera with it plugged into the new screen? I ask because when I plug the camera into my TV the image from the camera pops right up. But as soon as I try and link my phone to the camera with the app, the picture no longer comes through on the TV. I can see it on my phone but not the TV. My end goal is to be able to control the camera while it is 15 feet in the air but have it hard wired to the screen so I don't have to worry about the WI-Fi lag time to catch up and miss some plays, if that makes any sense at all Lol. That is my main goal. I can work on attempting to stream once I have this hurdle figured out. I am leaning heavily on your guys experience and expertise at the moment as I am still really new to all this. Thanks again for all your help!!! I could post some pictures of that would help make sense of what I am trying to explain??

I am guessing because I've not tried it yet but, I think, when the App is controlling the camera, the HDMI and A/V outputs may be switched off as the picture is transmitted to your phone. I have read this elsewhere. I wonder if it is possible to run the App and transmit the picture from, say, a laptop?
Have you tried Live Cast yet?
Time lag is a bit relative. A lot of "live" TV is deliberately run with a lag to cover for any undesirable "blips". Only people watching both live and on the screen would know.

Inexpensive Consumer camcorders like yours are marvels of Tech, but there are limits and if as you appear to discover the TV-viewing is OFF when in Smartphone-mode, then I suspect you've reached the limit of the internal processor-power.
I thought the ability to control via a smartphone was for framing and general "control" - which is what you appear to be doing. Once filmed, then you can either Edit off the Card - or Play using the camcorder output to TV.

What I don't think you can do is to record/view externally via HDMI while having the control/view on yr smartphone.
That yr camcorder is up a pole may add strain to the wireless interface, as it will be checking for signal-level . . . maybe that's why it needs time sometimes to "catch-up". Placing the smartphone closer may marginally resolve this.

Therefore, I suspect you are trying to do for $100 what should be $1000.

I too will often film using a pole: probably 8', rather than 10' - I don't have a smartphone and the "Remote" cable is too short - but the camera's view is far better than at eye-height - so I put up with all secondary downers.

Good luck.

Thanks 12Harry and Terfyn. Harry, unfortunately I think you might be right. Yes, I use the smart phone app to start and stop recording as well as zoom in and out. I figured the height was probably what was causing the latency in the Wi-Fi function which is why I wanted to hard wire it. But as you mention, I may be beyond it's capacity. I was hoping that somehow if I used as small monitor that I would be able to still have control to do those things but I am not sure that is possible. I didn't want to go by a $200 monitor only to find out there was no way to stop or start the recording with it 10 feet up a pole lol. Thanks everyone for your help. I may try a couple more things to see if I can get it to work. I will let you know it a miracle happens. If you have any other ideas you think might work I a open to try. Thanks again!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom