Help Connecting older DVD player to new TV. Blocky picture with SCART.

whittle82

Novice Member
I have an older DVD player which only has Composite Video (RCA), S Video (4 pin) or SCART out - I used to connect it to my old TV with a SCART lead. However, my new HD LED TV has Composite Video (RCA), Component Video, RGB SCART and HDMI inputs. See attached photos.

Initially I connected the DVD player with a SCART lead but the DVDs are playing back blocky and pausing, with audio out of sync. With the outputs / inputs I have, which would be the best way to connect the two? Is RGB SCART a special kind of SCART lead? I realise I could use the Composite Video connector, but is that the best way from the possible options?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DVD_player.JPG
TV.JPG

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SCART is potentially your best option.

All SCART cables will carry an RGB signal - though you need to ensure you configure the Source to Output RGB and the Sink (Display) to look for RGB otherwise you'll be viewing Composite video via the SCART connector.

Blocky playback, out of sync audio etc sounds like a more fundamental problem with the Player - have you tried it with another Display?

Joe

Just looked up the manual for the DVD Player and it seems it doesn't support RGB on the scart output (the model above does (RV41)).

With a new Blu-Ray Player with HDMI starting at under £50 this maybe the time to upgrade the old player to take full advantage of the new TV

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom