HELP! connecting my laptop using vga and format is unavailable!?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by nicolevictoria, Jan 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. nicolevictoria

nicolevictoria
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am a total rookie with computers and connections and I am trying to connect my laptop to my TV moniter through VGA.

Everytime I connect the wire and set it on to the VGA channel the screen is blank and says 'Picture format not available'

My tv is a Philips Matchline widescreen flat TV 42PF9945 107cm (42") plasma Progressive Scan with Digital Crystal Clear.

and my laptop is an acer and has windows 7.

I litterally do not know the first thing about computers so desperatly needing some help on this! If someone could walk me through it would be very much appreciated!

I have tried attatching the lead and changing the properties to multiple displays. I dont know what else to do!

Thanks!

2. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    Couple things. Some TVs are picky about what picture sizes they'll accept via their VGA connector, so set your laptop to output 800x600. I don't often use Windows 7, but if you've found the option to do multiple displays, it will be nearby.
    According to another post here; http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/309490-philips-42pf9945-12-how-display-pc-input.html , this TV is /very/ picky about what it'll take. And I thought my LG was bad...
    You may also need to switch your laptop to output just to VGA-only; switching off the built-in panel. This will normally be by pressing and holding a blue "Fn" key bottom left of the keyboard near "Z", and pressing one of the F-keys across the top; it may have a picture of a computer monitor, a computer monitor and a laptop, the letters "LCD/CRT", or something similar. You may get a message on screen telling you what it's going to do. Then release "Fn" and wait several seconds. Remember how the keys worked so you can change it back, though most laptops will realise when you unplug the VGA connector...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

3. nicolevictoria

nicolevictoria
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive tried everything you have said and It still isnt working. I even tried switching it to 800x600 on 56 hz and it still didnt work. Thing is whenever i switch it something flashes on the tv screen for a fraction of a second and then brings up the format message. Its driving me mad.

I might just get a hdmi tv haha

Thanks Iain. If you can think of anything else i can try or might be doing wrong please let me know thanks.

Nicole

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Have you got the latest drivers (software) for your laptop's graphics chip installed on the PC ?
    What is the model number of your Acer laptop ?

5. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    Can you check the VGA cable is OK, by connecting it to something else? Pretty much any flat screen TV will suffice, or if you have access to a projector or PC monitor...
    --
    Regards, Iain.