Question Help connecting hearing aid transmitter please

stevem999

Hi everyone, bit of context first before I ask questions. My son is severely deaf and uses hearing aids at all times. He enjoys watching TV, DVD's, gaming etc as much as most 11 year olds! For some years he has been using an FM radio aid system in school which involves a microphone around the teachers neck that transmits directly into his hearing aids, which helps him decipher what they are saying above the general hubbub of a classroom. He has recently been given a digital version of this called the Roger Pen and this has much more flexibility in what you can do with it, and better sound quality.

One of these other methods of working is to use it at home and connect to audio outputs of devices so the sound is transmitted directly to his hearing aids. He has quite taken to this for watching TV/DVD's etc and so I had rigged up what I thought was a solution but I've hit a snag.

We have a venerable LG 32PG6000 TV in the lounge where the only audio outputs are an optical or a Scart-based output. The transmitter dock only connects with a 3.5mm plug or audio over a micro USB connection. It doesn't accept optical. I had an existing Scart adapter with Phono outputs on it, as well as a Phono-to-3.5mm cable so connected that up and it worked really well. It played the output from the TV well when it was playing our Sky+ box (connected to the TV by HDMI) through it and I thought all was well and that the Scart output played the sound from whatever the TV was playing.

However my son changed the TV input to watch a DVD on for the first time today and the audio from that doesn't come through. All he can hear is the sound of the TV channel. If I turn off the Sky Box he just gets unpleasant white noise through it. So the Scart output doesn't seem to output whatever is being shown on the TV after all. The TV optical output however does certainly just output whatever is being played through the TV, but it currently outputs to a soundbase I have, which I want to retain. Is there some setting I have wrong? - I've checked all TV settings and doesn't seem to be anything obvious.

So, to me a simple solution would be to either split the optical output from the TV and send it to both my soundbase and also to a Digital/analog converter box, from where I can take phono outputs as before. Alternatively, rather than splitting the optical output, I was looking to see if a box existed that had an optical-in, as well as a pass-through facility to an optical-out, but that also had phono outputs. I could then take an optical cable from the TV to the box, then another from the box to the soundbase and take an audio feed from the phono outputs. However I can't seem to find such a box - can anyone help with any suggestions on how I can get this to work (either way described, or something else entirely) please and recommend any suitable bits of kit? Many thanks.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
DVD Player - ensure its HDMI audio Out is set to PCM.

HDMI - if the HDMI Input is working for the SKY Box try connecting the DVD Player into that same Input.

Joe

stevem999

Thanks Joe, appreciate your thoughts. I have checked the DVD output and it was already set to PCM so it's not that.
In respect of the HDMI suggestion, are you suggesting I use a splitter of some sort to put both the Sky box and DVD player into that HDMI input and then whatever audio is playing from them will come back out of the Scart audio output? Would it need to be a manually switched splitter so that the TV only gets one particular audio input at a time? Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY - are you sure it is connected via HDMI rather than SCART? Some TV’s only pass Analogue Sources Out via the SCART sockets.

HDMI - I had a quick look through the TV Manual (clear as mud). Something in it suggested that if it is possible to route HDMI audio out via SCART that it may only apply to HDMI 1 socket.

Try connecting the DVD player to HDMI 1 as a test.

Joe

stevem999

Hi, yes definitely 100% connected by HDMI. I am happy that HDMI audio is definitely being output via Scart because the channel that the Sky box is showing outputs audio through the Scart and into the hearing aid transmitter. I will try swapping the DVD player into the HDMI that the Sky box is currently using and see if that work.

If that is the case, my question from before applies - how do I then connect those two devices to the same input, and is there a need for manual intervention each time?

If so, then I go back to my original idea of splitting the optical out signal from the TV (that of course works with any audio from any device connected to the TV) and extracting a phono-style audio connection from it. Are there such bits of kit that are recommended?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI 1 - if that is the only HDMI Input which maps to the SCART Output then yes you will require an HDMI Switch ahead of HDMI 1.

Switch - some will auto sense when you take a new Source In/Out of Standby.

Optical - you could use a powered Optical Splitter to have mirrored Optical Outs to play with.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom