Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help!! Connecting GX3 to Intergrated digital TV..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shyguy, Nov 28, 2004.

1. shyguy

shyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Lo people :hiya:

I am hoping my saving grace is here in the realms of this very forum. I have Sony's KD-32DX50 which has its intergrated digital tv (i.e. freeview). and the great Sony's RDR-GX3.

I am happy with everything so far, but I cannot, for the life of me, get to record any freeview channels on the recorder except using the Line 1 option.

How can I get the recorder to recognise the channels in seperate fashion (e.g. CH 6 = ITV2, CH 7= BBC3 etc.)? The smartlink works, and from what I can figure out (not incredibly inept with TV/DVD technology..) it recognises the channels.

I am sure I have the connections sorted. Basically;
    Main aerial -> "AERIAL IN" on the recorder
    "AERIAL OUT" -> TV (digital aerial socket)
    Scart from Line 1 TV from recorder -> AV2 Smartlink enabled scart on TV

Im sorry if the information is sparse, but please do not hesitate to contact me and show me the way to finally be able to record freeview in proper fashion.

Cheers, and hope to hear from anyone with the correct knowledge soon! :lease:

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These are general rules about recorder/TV connections:

1. If your DVD output is s-video or RGB then Smartlink may be deactivated as a scart lead does not carry bi-directional s-video RGB signals as it does composite video.

2. Some DVD recorders have the ability to control satellite tuners as you describe, but it usually only applies to decoder systems and there are special DVD/decoder channel settings for this.

Your recorder instructions should have info about the above items.

3. Your DVD has no digital tuner, so it recognises any channel number as referring to its own analog tuner.

4. Your recorder only 'sees' your TV as a signal source through L1. It has no control over the TV's integrated digital tuner, so you record digital by setting the TV (e.g. if it has a timer function like a Freeview box) and then using L1 on the recorder.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  4. shyguy

shyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya

Thanks for the guidance so far....but this has not resolved the situation.

Im wondering whether the GX3 recognises freeview channels as seperate channels if at all.

Tempted to email Sony about this...eeek

Anyone else?

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You're scart leads are connected correctly, but the aerial leads are not.

[Main aerial] > [TV's 'digital' aerial socket]

[TV's aerial 'out' socket] > [Recorder's aerial 'in' socket]

[Recorder's aerial 'out' socket] > [TV's aerial 'in' socket]

This provides the best signal path for the 'Freeview channels' to the tv's digital tuner.

Remember, your recorder does not contain a 'digital' tuner, just an ordinary analogue one (channels 1 - 5)! You can not 'tune' in anymore channels directly on the recorder. You can instead, tell the recorder to record whatever is input into the rear scart socket (digital channels from the tv for example).

To record digital channels manualy:

With the appropriate digital channel already selected on the tv.

Select 'Line 1' on the recorder (press the 'input' button or use 'CH -' / 'CH +').

Press 'Record'.

You may switch the tv back to analogue channels and watch something different. You can not select a different digital channel to the one you are recording. If you switch off the tv whilst still recording, you will record only a blank, black screen!

To record digital channels unattended:

On the television, use the EPG on the digital stations, highlight a programme you want recording, then press 'OK'.

You will be prompted to press a coloured button to select 'Wakeup' or 'Record'; press the button for 'Record'.

Regardless of whether the tv is on/off or what channel it is on, the tv's internal digital tuner will send the correct programme to the recorder and instuct it to start recording.

If you still have difficulties, follow the owner's manuals for more info, such as how to choose which scart socket for recording, via the menus, etc.

I hope this has been of some help.

6. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks..i have a gx3 and hope to get freeview soon.