Help connecting 2nd tv to sky + box

widdyst

Ex Member
Reaction score
H Wasnt sure if this was the right section, but heres my question

My Father has just bought a new replacment tv for his dining room.
The old tv in there was connected to RF2 on the sky box in living room via a coax with magic eye. when he wanted to view sky he would go to analogue channel 6 which was tuned to sky and hey presto.

Now it would seem the new 2nd tv has no analogue tuner so he cant view sky in there only digital .

How do we connect this up now so he can watch sky on the second tv.

cheers

There are a couple of options. He could buy a DVD Recorder or PVR that has an anlogue tuner.

Is it Sky+ or Sky+HD? If it's Sky+ i.e. SCART, he could try a SCART buffer from JS-Technology and a long SCART cable. Sky+HD would involve HDMI splitters or matrix devices and if the distance from the box to the second TV is significant (>10m) he would probably need to invest in a cat5 balun solution. The cables forum would be your best bet for these sorts of suggestions.

Sky multi-room would be another solution. He would obviously have to go through Sky for this. If he doesn't use any of the premium channels, he could get a sat installer to fit a quad LNB on the dish and run some sat coax to the second TV and fit a Freesat box on the end. Obvioulsy if he already has Freeview on the second TV, he would gain little other than a handful of HD channels.

Hi
Thanks for a very comprehensive answer.
Its a sky + box hes using , I hadnt even thought of using another device such as dvd recorder etc to do this , Thats a good suggestion I think we may look into this.
His new TV doesnt have any scart sockets just HDMI
So would the dvd recorder then dislay what ever the sky was showing ? Or would he also be able to use the mini eye Link to change channels like he used to ?

Last edited:
It should work as before as the magic eye is fitted in-line between the sky box and the tuner which will now be in a DVD Recorder instead of the TV. The DVD Recorder will show whatever is showing on the Sky box on that RF Channel.

The DVD Recorder will show whatever is showing on the Sky box on that RF Channel.

...if the DVD recorder has an analogue tuner built into it. Many newer ones don't.

What make is the tv. I cant see the tv not having a analog tuner in it?

If you get the make and model number then might be able to look it up for you :)

might be worth looking in the instructions to see if there is an analog button on the remote or through the input?

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom