Help connect USB DAC to a receiver

MegaKen

Novice Member
Hi. I want to play audio from a phone device via USB to an external DAC (pictured here) that then goes to my receiver (marantz nr1609).
7326021.jpg

How do I actually connect it all?

Thank you

John7

Sorry, looks like you've got the wrong DAC for your required use.

The one you picture has an in-built Power Amplifier, hence unsuitable for connecting to a receiver, which will need a pre-out (LINE LEVEL) connection to the DAC. The output signal from the one pictured is SPEAKER LEVEL, which has a much higher voltage than the inputs of the Marantz can accept.

You require a DAC with LINE OUT (RCA connections) to plug into the receivers LINE IN connections using RCA cables, or you can use an OPTICAL DIGITAL (SPDIF) TOSLINK connection to the receiver, someting like this......

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

Also, what phone are you trying to connect?

Last edited:

MegaKen

Novice Member
I see. I had it laying around and figured I'd try. I did end up connecting it - through headphone jack on the DAC to RCA input on the receiver, but it doesn't sound better than the DAC in the receiver. I do want to try a D10s or schiit one though through toslink like you said.

MegaKen

Novice Member
Cool, so usb-c on the phone to usb-b on the DAC. In which case the phone is providing power to the DAC (and even if it doesn't) - the phone is discharging.

I'm actually using an older phone (as a dedicated music player) that has good audio hardware but crappy battery and needs to be plugged in while in use. Now what?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom