Help connect panasonic plasma to dvd player

Novanab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Geetings,

I currently have an old 2000 Panasonic TH42PW4 plasma, and i have been connecting it to my dvd player through an s-video cable, howver i have recently found at my house a cable which i tink would give a better quality image. On one end i have a standard SCART connection which would connect to my dvd player, but on the other side i have got 4 BNC connectors with the following colors:

Red, Purple(Blue), Green, and Yellow.

On the back of my plasma i have the following Component/RGB-In connections

Y/G Pb/Cb/B Pr/Cr/R HD VD

Would i be able to connect this cable i found to my tv? If not could you reccomend a good cable that i could connect to my dvd player?

Thanks

If your DVD player can output a COMPONENT signal on the Scart connector then try that with the Red Green and Blue leads. You'll need a separate pair of cables for the sound. See your manual P14

screenshot2011121720423.png

Im not sure should check, however i was wondering a 5 bnc cable would include both vsync and hsync connectors right? But mine is 4 bnc cable what is the difference?

After looking at the manual it seems like my scart connection on the dvd player supports video and rgb, i dont get however why on the manual it says 3xRCA if my tv only has bnc connections

Im not sure should check, however i was wondering a 5 bnc cable would include both vsync and hsync connectors right? But mine is 4 bnc cable what is the difference?

"1"? ;) :D

RGB with horizontal and vertical sync is I believe the sort of signal you'd get to drive a PC monitor with R+G+B + 2 x syncs. Hence the 5 bnc's.

RGB from say a Sky Scart carries R+G+B plus a single sync which is carried on the "video" pin of the Scart. Hence the 4 x bnc.

Well, that's my understanding!

There are various RGB signal formats – as Mr Incredible says SCART RGB is R,G,B + Composite Sync.

SCART to 4xRCA/BNC cables wired for RGB+Composite Sync were relatively rare.

If you Source is not capable of Outputting a YUV ‘Component’ (3 core) signal via SCART use a JS Tech RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter between the Source and the PDP.

The image quality with either option will be a step up from what you have been viewing.

The RGB2YUV converter is the best option as your Display offers you very limited control over image settings when you use the RGB2VGA (RGBHV) converter – it assumes when in ‘VGA’ mode that your Source has lots of image adjustments.

RGB (SCART) to Component (YUV) Video Converter - J.S. Technology Ltd

RGB (SCART) to Plasma VGA Converter with Free 2m VGA Lead - J.S. Technology Ltd

http://www.js-technology.com/store/info/avguides/plasmascreeninterfacing.pdf

Joe

Hey ive also found a very good quality SCART - S-VIDEO cable at my house ive tried connecting the scart end to my dvd player and the s-video to the tv and it shows an image but its black and white for some reason :S any ideas??

P.S god HDMI makes everything so much esier lol

A SCART to S-Video cable only works if the Source can Output an S-Video signal via its SCART socket – SKY doesn't!!!

S-Video uses the same connecter as Composite video to get the B&W portion of the video signal – which is why you see an image in B&W.

JS Tech also do an RGB2S-Video converter.

Not sure I’d put HDMI in the ‘simple’ column :D

Joe

There are various RGB signal formats – as Mr Incredible says SCART RGB is R,G,B + Composite Sync.

SCART to 4xRCA/BNC cables wired for RGB+Composite Sync were relatively rare.

If you Source is not capable of Outputting a YUV ‘Component' (3 core) signal via SCART use a JS Tech RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter between the Source and the PDP.

The image quality with either option will be a step up from what you have been viewing.

The RGB2YUV converter is the best option as your Display offers you very limited control over image settings when you use the RGB2VGA (RGBHV) converter – it assumes when in ‘VGA' mode that your Source has lots of image adjustments.

RGB (SCART) to Component (YUV) Video Converter - J.S. Technology Ltd

RGB (SCART) to Plasma VGA Converter with Free 2m VGA Lead - J.S. Technology Ltd

http://www.js-technology.com/store/info/avguides/plasmascreeninterfacing.pdf

Joe

There's one for sale in the classifieds. £35.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-p...t-technology-rgb-plasma-v2.html?highlight=rgb

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom