Help! Confused Nikon Owner..

martin99

Established Member
Reaction score
History: For many years I was a semi pro F3 user, got it for the LA Olympics if that dates me! i then moved out of photography into more lucrative employment, and also started having eye problems.
Jump forward to today: eye operations have helped my eyes and I've decided to take up my old hobby again. Issue is I got a D40 on a whim, and to see if i could still use a SLR ( my right eye is the problem one) now I find I can use a SLR but having bought a D40 my lens choice is limited.

So I guess my question is now i know I can use a camera I'm going to save up for a D300 or maybe a D3 but I want to take pictures again now, however I find the choice of D40 lenes restrictive so would it be posible to buy lens now with manual focus and use the on a d40 in anticipation for getting a d300n body in the future.?

cheers

martin

Simple answer is yes. You can use any Nikon lens from AI onwards, although you will have limited functionality

I use several AIS lenses on my D50 which work in manual mode only. AF lenses lose the AF but retain the exposure control.

I still have my F3, great camera - they don't make them like that any more. :smashin:

As a very happy D200 owner, I'd imagine that the D300 will be the camera for you. Crosschecking your other posts, I see you're into sports, so the cropped sensor sounds like the obvious choice, and you still get the pro-grade AF module, weather sealing etc. Opting for a D300 over the D3 would save enough to go for pro-grade glass from 17mm to 300mm as well :thumbsup:

As stated, all current production lenses work in some fashion on the D40, virtually all will meter, and Nikon AF-S/ Sigma HSM will autofocus

At the superwide end, the Sigma 10-20 will AF with the D40, but the Tokina 12-24 won't. Either are good (I have the Tokina).

In the mid range, all the kit zooms, and pro grade 17-55 are AFS, and Sigma have announced an upgraded version of both of their mid rangers to HSM :smashin:

At the long end, I'd look at the Nikon 70-300VR, 70-200 f2.8VR, or 300 f4. The latter two also work well with x1.4 and x2 teleconverters apparently.

Manual focus for macros isn't such a big deal, and if you want to save some cash, the Tamron 90mm is a good option (though I love my Nikon 105VR AF-S!)

Nikon are being very slack when it comes to upgrading primes to AFS, so the 35f2, 50 f1.4/1.8, 85 f1.4/1.8 etc would all be manual for you.

I guess what I'm really like to know then is are there any "bargain" zoom lens somewhere between 50 and 500 ( 70-300) for instance that will autofocus on a d300 but not a D40.

I was going to get the Nikon VR70-300 AFS this week, but i assume I'll be paying extra for an internal focusing motor I wont use when I upgrade the body?

I guess what I'm really like to know then is are there any "bargain" zoom lens somewhere between 50 and 500 ( 70-300) for instance that will autofocus on a d300 but not a D40.

I was going to get the Nikon VR70-300 AFS this week, but i assume I'll be paying extra for an internal focusing motor I wont use when I upgrade the body?

I think everyone will agree that the best bargain zoom is the Sigma 70-300 APO. (make sure it is the APO version). It is by all accounts the equivalent of the Nikon 70-300VR optically, but is lacking a focus motor and (more importantly), VR (vibration reduction or anti shake). I would still get the Nikon for the VR if you can afford it. The focussing will be faster and quieter as well.

Mike

Yes, you will use the lens motor on a D300, as the AFS/HSM lens motors are far faster (and quieter) than the body-based screw drive.

The very popular Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro doesn't AF on the D40, but the Sigma 50-500 (known as the Bigma!) looks like it will, as it's HSM. The Bigma is a popular choice for a wildlife lens, and the Sigma is used by about half this forum I think!

The Nikon 70-300VR is actually extremely good value. The premium over the Sigma 70-300 is mostly for the vibration reduction. The only downside is that for a sports shooter, it's pretty slow, so ultimately, if you're throwing around D300 kind of money, the 70-200mm f2.8 VR or 300mm f4 have clear advantages

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom