HELP!! Confused about Amplifier connections (HDMI, RCA)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jamesclark1991, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jamesclark1991

jamesclark1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so I currently have a Sony STR-DG820 7.1 integrated amplifier. From my amp I run my PC (Jack T/Rs to RCAs from my PCs external soundcard) and my PS3 (HDMI to amp, then to TV). My speakers are Tannoy V1s plus a random subwhoofer (2.1)

I was thinking about getting a Marantz PM6004 to replace my Sony amp.

Reason 1, I don't have a 5.1 speaker set-up anymore due to space restrictions.
    Reason 2, my amp wont allow 3D to pass through from my PS3 to my 3D TV.
    Reason 3, I understand that listening to CDs will sound better from a decent dedicated stereo amp rather than my "do it all" 7.1 amp. (correct me if I'm mistaken though)
    Reason 4, my Sony amp has a well known design fault which produces a slight hum even when speakers aren't in use (it annoys me :p )

So the problems/questions I have are:
    My PS3/amp can output "HD Dolby/DTS" from my blu-ray films in 2.1 which sounds great. If I move to the Marantz amp which would connect to the PS3 via RCAs I'll lose this "HD" audio, right?

I also just wanted a general opinion as to whether this amp move would be worth it? negatives? positives?

Any help/opinions would be really appreciated! :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, you will loose surround sound, no Dolby or DTS HD. If you like good stereo, then pick up Marantz. Of course, no HDMI passthrough etc just pure stereo sound.

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    The Marantz 6004 is great for music sources , however there are no digital inputs at all and you will be relying on a separate dac or the dacs in your other equipment to handle that. Sound quality will depend heavily on the quality of these dacs.

If your relying on the dacs inside your various players or your TV to handle digital sources , then the advantage of having a dedicated stereo amp sound quality wise , will be pretty much wiped out.

Keep in mind also , that if your planning on feeding a stereo out from your TV into the marantz , that not all TV's output all connected sources over analog stereo outs , you may be restricted to Tuner content only.

You will not get HD lossless audio from Blu ray without HDMI equipment.

There is the option of buying one of the more expensive ( 500 and upwards ) BD players with quality analog outs onboard, but unless you go to that price bracket , HD audio is a no go.

If your moving away from an AV receiver to a Stereo amp , remember you lose all that onboard processing.

It is true that you will most likely get better stereo sound from the Marantz , but only if you have sources capable of giving it a quality analog stereo signal. That is not always the case these days with analog outs on AV equipment , Digital , whether that be HDMI or Spdif over optical or co-ax , is the norm these days and analog outs tend to be very poor quality on most equipment.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. jamesclark1991

jamesclark1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I see what you're saying. Well I'd probably be listening to my CD collection from my PS3 using this cable:

[​IMG]

So I have no idea what quality would be expected. Not really educated on the whole DAC topic.

Although I do have a really good retro Sony Studio CD player available it's big and heavy and not hooked up currently.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If you use that cable for the video bit as well (not sure if you can use that and HDMI at the same time) then you are going to see a massive drop in picture quality. Since you will be moving from HD video down to the lowest form of video signal, composite.

6. jamesclark1991

jamesclark1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd be sticking with HDMI for the video, you can split the outputs on PS3 :)

7. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Yes , you can split the audio , but analog audio quality from the PS3 is quite dreadful.

You will not be gaining anything sound quality wise from the Marantz if that is going to be your setup.