1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Component to VGA required!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by phil2415, Aug 30, 2005.

1. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm desperately looking for a way to connect the progressive component out of my DVD player, 3 RCA sockets, to the progressive component in on my InFocus X1, which is a VGA socket.

I've found cables which have the appropriate connectors at either end but these are invariably either not long enough (ideally need 15m) or very expensive (£127 for VanDamme).

Can anyone tell me where I can get such a cable or if not where I can get a 3RCA component to VGA adapter? InFocus have such an adapter (part ref. SP-VESA-ADPT) on their website for a mere $10 but won't ship abroad and the handful of sites in the UK which list it show it as out of stock with no further stocks expected.

I really don't think I need an expensive transcoder, just a simple adapter, but I can't find one anywhere!

Please help! :lease:

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,035
  3. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent link, thank you! That looks like just what I want, although the leads don't look very high quality? Also, no prices quoted so I'll have to give them a ring.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,035
    Other options:
    1) A short VGA to RCA cable, 3 RCA to RCA adapters and a component cable of required length. Advantage of this approach is that you could check the connection works with a short cable and then buy the long component to extend it.

2) Contact Mark Grant and see what he could make for you, his stuff is well liked on this forum (I have 2 myself, a digital and a sub)

http://www.markgrantcables.co.uk

HTH

Dave

EDIT: just looked at Marks site and saw the 15m High quality VGA to RCA cable is £200 :eek: Maybe he could do one of lesser quality :)

5. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was already considering this as it also seems cheaper. The problem is finding such a short cable, although I've come across a few, and finding one which has female phono plugs to accept the male plugs from the long component cable (or a long component cable with female plugs on one end!)

Excellent link, thank you very much. I wish that cable was in my price range! I will e-mail Mark and see what he can do, though.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  7. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that, Dutch, I may well end up going with something from them. Do you know if they ship to the UK?

8. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they do ship to the UK but be prepared to wait

Alex

9. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the suggestions. The variation in prices is amazing! Two cables that do the same job are $25 at bluejeans and £39.99 at tvcables! I guess the quality is the difference but I don't know how much I'm going to notice in my set up. I certainly can't afford to spend a lot on the run of component cable from the VGA-BNC/RCA lead to the DVD player. :(

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Phil,

I've bought excellent numerous cables from Bluejeans and they are usually delivered in around a week. Be aware you may get charged import duty/VAT on items over £18.

Steve

12. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am told to expect to pay 10-15% of the AV costs on decent cables - so don't skimp. Good quality RGB scart for example can jump PQ 2 fold and getting reid on noise on SKY is an issue for some TVs so IMHO, buy wisely not cheaply.:lesson:

Cheers:hiya:

13. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you're right, Dunsters, but the problem is that I am on a budget of some kind so it's a question of balancing good quality with price. I'd love to buy a £200 cable but that's not possible. I don't mind spending £50 rather than £16 if I think the difference will be significant, but I also know that you can't always rely on the price being an accurate indication of quality when more than one supplier is concerned. This is why I'm having such a hard time buying this one flippin' cable!!! By the way, this is to connect a PJ, not a TV, if that makes any difference.

Buying the rest of my set up was easier than this, I'm sure!

14. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I recommend you just give the guys at TVcable a call.:smashin: They helped me no end and never once tried to sell me up to the most expensive cables - just the ones to do the job. The IXOS range is good and seem to me to be well priced. Many on the forums shun Monster which I have used with no problem in the past from the larger retailers (but I don't know why other than they are expensive for low/middle range) and I know at least one member who still uses out of the box cables and swears the PQ is fine.:confused: Cheers:hiya:

15. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give them a ring on my lunch break. The IXOS do look good but the problem is always the length I need. Because it's a projector and not a TV I'm connecting to the distance makes the cable expensive. The IXOS is about £40 for 3m so I dread to think how much 15m would cost! Still, I'll give 'em a call.

16. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted bluejeans.com who were excellent and quoted me an amazing price of around £75 for 15m of Belden 1694A component RCA - RCA cable AND a VGA - RCA breakout cable but the postage would have been a further $40 so I looked closer to home.

In the end, Mark Grant (markgrantcables.co.uk) sorted me out by making me the same two cables, albeit with inferior cable, for £50 plus p&p, which was more in my budget and probably more appropriate for my existing kit. I haven't got the cable yet but Mark has been excellent and I recommend his services to anyone.

So this particular quest, it seems, is over.

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,035
    Told you ;) :smashin:

glad Mark could sort you out.

Dave