1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Complete newbie Philips 32/37PF9986 ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jayo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been following several threads on these Philips TV's. I'm in the market for a flatscreen TV and would like to buy one of these screens as all the reviews/posts etc are leading me to believe that this TVis the main man! but I would just like one last bit of re-assurance before I take the plunge! These TV's are quite expensive over here (in Ireland) approx €4000 for the 32", €4500-5000 for the 37" and the 42" is somewhere around the €7000 mark!

So here come the questions

Firstly, having read nearly all of the threads relating to this TV I get the impression that the picture quality from is pretty amazing but (and there's always a but!) when I've looked at these TV's, in the showrooms, the picture has always looked blocky and/or "smeared". A far cry from the the impressions of picture quality I get here. On one occasion I was viewing one of these screens (the 37") in a showroom; it was hanging on a display wall above some CRTs and Sky News was on all the tvs but the picture look way better on the CRTs than it did on the LCD (the LCD picture looked very smeared and unnatural)? When I questioned the salesman about it he said it was due to the fact the all the tvs in the showroom were connected to one Sky Box and that the signal quality was poor because they were splitting the signal? Another shop had the 37" hooked up to a DVD player (playing the Philips demo DVD) this time quality was way, way better but still looked a bit blocky. Is the picture quality on these TVs or any LCD for that matter really as good as it's made out to be? Picture quality is my main concern; I don't want to fork out a load of hard earned cash for a fancy decoration!

Secondly: the size of the display. Obviously I want to get the biggest screen for my € which would be the 37" however I live in an apartment where the living room is not that big; I'd probably be sitting about 3 or 4 meters from the screen. Given this, which size do you guys think would be more suitable 32" or 37"?

Thanks :) for a great forum and for reading my long :boring: waffle. I'm sure you guys have heard all this before

Jayo

2. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Blockiness from Sky is almost certainly due to the amount of signal compression. The fact that the CRTs did not show this so much is due to them not resolving the same level of detail. If your glasses are dirty its difficult to read the small print...

Connected to my Denon 3910 DVD player the only, very infrequent and momentary, instances of blockiness are caused by problems on the disk itself, e.g fingerprints. The Philips demo DVD looked great when I played it via my xBox, before I bought the Denon, and I guess it would look even better with a high quality player. Unfortunately I have mislaid the disk.....

Regarding size of display, from 3 - 4 metres, I would say look to the 42 or 37 inch, not the 32 inch.

All in all, with good source transmissions (e.g. Channel 5 and ITV in the UK, not BBC) the picture quality can be stunningly good. With good DVDs even better.

With compressed/rubbish sources then you get to see every gory detail....

3. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I think that the old adage "garbage in garbage out" seems applies to these new hi-def TVs! I guess we'll have to wait for HD-TV before we can really appreciate these sets!

If I do buy one of these TVs will I end up having to buy a new DVD player as well as the one I currently have is a Sony, about 3 years old, and only has an S-Video out connector which as far as I can tell isn't as high quality as RGB or component?

I also think I'll drop back into the shop playing the Philips demo DVD and see what kind of a set up they have?

Jayo

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a big ripoff. The recommended retail prices are like that.
    When I bought my 32" last december it was 3599 but since then it has dropped to 3199 in normal shops. Internet shops advertise it well under 3000.
    (usually the price on the label in the shop is 400-500 more or it just says "ask". when you ask the salesman they give you the 400-500 lower price)

I like my 32" but I could imagine someone watching from 4 meters would want a 37".
    If you really are at 3 meters (or closer) it is probably too close and you see the artifacts.

However, please note the 9986 has a lot of area around the screen, and so the 37" unit is really massive. You should have a large area available to set it up (including some space for the ambilight). When you want a large screen but not such a massive looking unit, the Sharp LC37GA3E or GA4E without the speakers seems a better choice.

5. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep it's a big rip-off alright! I might have try a bit of haggling ;)

Rob1698, would you be able to post a link or two to some those internet shops you mentioned? Although I have looked on the net, all the stores seem to be in the UK so even if I did get a bargin the customs duty and delivery would probably bump the price right back up!

I havent considered the Sharps and come to think of it haven't seen them in any of the shops I've visited so far. Anyone got any opinions on the Sharps?

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sharps are very hard to find - well the GA3/4 models are and I wouldn't bother with the GA5 personally. Unless you want to pay more for the titanium versions.

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The shop prices I mentioned are in the Netherlands.
    Someone recently posted Internet shop price in Spain well below 3000 euro (2799 if I remember well).
    I think you should be able to import from both countries without duty (open European market), only shipping. But you can ship a lot of goods for 1200 euro!

8. Hyzepher

Hyzepher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayo

I live in Ireland too and recently my m8 was in the market for a plasma (gor the 42pf9966 yesterday). I sent him in the direction of www.tvandvideodirect.com they deliver to Ireland for £65 and there is no duty within the EU. The price of the 9966 was €1000 cheaper than here in Ireland.

The 42" 9986 is £4034 there (€5878) so around €6000 with the shipping , the 37" is £2445 (€3560) - a great saving. btw - it only takes 2/3 days to arrive

Hyzepher

9. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyzepher

Thanks a million for the link :thumbsup: Crikey we're really being ripped off over here!

Jayo