1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Colours to avoid for a cinema room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by whoisit, Sep 8, 2005.

1. whoisit

whoisit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I would like to know what colours/or type of colours i should definately avoid for my cinema room
    THANK YOU

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    light colours can cause reflections off the screen, other than that i dont know, sorry

3. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colors that ARE good are usually red for a carpet or maybe even walls and black is my favorite for walls expessially.

I like darker colors because then you tend to ignore them while watching something on your screen. For whatever reason red is supposed to be a decent color? My uncle's has spent more on his system/cinema than some people on a sports car (Porsche Boxter, Mazda Miata, Chevy Corvette, Maxda RX8, Ford Mustang GT, etc...) and he has red carpet and black felted walls. Anybody else back up the red? Here's a picture of his system below:

[​IMG]

Ryan

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    I have Kodak 18% grey on my upper walls and ceiling, and similar carpet colour for the side walls (red floor carpet too. :) ). However, my attic ceiling is close to the screens top corners (see pics in my link if you're interested) and I recently measured the ANSI contrast and it's suffereing because of the walls being slightly reflective near the screen. I'll paint the walls and ceiling black for about 6ft from the screen and cover the carpet in black speaker grill cloth so that the accoustics remain the same but the light will be less reflected. I'll then measure again, but black felt would be the best solution for absorbing light spill and retaining intra-scene image contrast.

When you have light or reflective walls/ceiling, if you have a scene that has both light and dark elements in it, the light parts reflect from the screen and bounce back from the walls and wash out the dark parts. So, if you can, use dark matt colours where possible.

Gary.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use dark red throughout and have few reflection problems but LEDs are a killer now

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Hi Nic,

Can you mask the LEDs at all? I can hang something over the glass doors of my cabinets which prevents any light leakage, and a piece of card bent in the middle can sit on my amp and hang over the LEDs there to block them out.

It's not a huge problem for me as I've a DLP so the black level isn't as dark as that on a CRT, but there would still be enough light hitting the screen for me to be able to see it and cause shadows to drop onto it if I pass a hand in front of the equipment.

Gary.