Help choosing tv/projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jabriel, Aug 17, 2018.

1. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all, I need some help with deciding what solution to choose regarding my next tv purchase. I need to buy something in the next few weeks potentially so not in a desperate hurry.

Budget is £1-2k max.

Am moving house soon and currently using a 10 year old pioneer lx5090 which I've owned since new and it's still as good today as it was on day one. Anyway, sadly I have to leave it behind and am having to buy a new tv.

I'm not one to change models often regardless of new technology releases. (If I wasn't moving, I wouldn't carry on using the 5090.)

I've never liked LED. I find them all too bright, too sharp, too artificial, etc. (Just my opinion.) I'm much more comfortable with OLED screens though.

My wife and I tend to watch a mix of sports, movies, and dramas via Sky Q and have Amazon prime too. Might have Netflix eventually but this isn't a given. Don't have a blue ray player and don't intend on buying one either. Not in the foreseeable future anyway. Don't do any gaming.

What I'm not keen on is having a massive tv as when it's switched off (which is most of the time), I just see a non descript black box. I think anything larger than a 55" would be an eye sore, to my eyes anyway.

So, as I see it, I have a couple of options:

1. Buy the best value for money OLED in my budget. Something like the LG B7. If I get the 55", I'll have some money left over which isn't a bad thing. It's not too big either.

2. Buy a small LED (40" maybe, but not much bigger) and a projector and projector screen. £3-400 for a simple smart TV and spend the remainder on the projector and screen. Due to speaker placement (floor standing and cannot be moved), I need an electric acoustic screen which is roughly 96" diagonal. I found a Beamax M series here (Beamax M-Series Projection Screen - Matt White with Black back) for circa £1.2k. Which leaves £400 for a projector and that isn't enough for a decent bottom-mid range projector.

Projector requirements are: 1080p and faux 4k would be nice.

Option 1 is simple and in budget. Just not an event when we watch movies or sports.

Option 2 is much more of an event (when using the projector) but a little beyond my budget. What may make it affordable is if I wait until Black Friday to buy a projector and screen. (Tell me if I'm wrong though as I don't know how much these may be discounted.) I've said I don't like the 40" LED tv I'd have to buy in option 2 but this would only be used when watching news or my son when he watches cartoons etc. so am not as fussed in this case.

Can everyone offer your thoughts and opinions and tell me what you would do or suggest additional options I may not have considered?

Thanks in advance folks.

P.s. Will be posting this in the TV and projector forums. Hope that's ok?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    I suspect you will end up with two less than ideal images if you go ahead with the plan you outline!

If a projector is not practical as your day to day 'TV' then I would concentrate your budget and system planning around the OLED TV.

Using your room lighting to change the ambience of the room is one 'relatively' inexpensive way to use the TV for both TV and 'Movie' nights.

Joe

3. jabriel

jabriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks Joe.

I think the flexibility the tv and projector provide has a value for me too so that needs consideration over just picture quality.

If I can get my hands on a fauk 4k projector, that would be more than good enough. 3d would be nice to have rather than a must have.

Can anyone recommend projectors to review?

Regarding the screen, is it available for less from elsewhere or are there other good AT electric screens available?

I do have a need for a tv with wide viewing angles. Which tv's are worth considering in that price bracket?