Help Choosing TV for Gaming & TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Glanv, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Glanv

Glanv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I'm looking to get a TV for my 'cave' that will mainly be used for gaming (Xbox One & Switch), Sky Q (mini) & possibly FireTV/Netflix. I initially started out with an aim of getting a budget 4k set (£500), but from reading the forums understand that if I want acceptable HDR then the minimum is the Sony XE9005.

I am now considering whether:
    a) I invest in the XE9005 so that when I buy an Xbox One X / watch FireTV/Netflix I am 'HDR ready' - £950
    b) Get a new OLED to replace the main TV in the lounge (LG 55EF950V) - £1,500 based on LG B6
    c) Stick with original budget option & upgrade it later when I get an Xbox One X - £500 + ~£1,000 later

A few details that might help are:
    - viewing distance: ~2m (~1m when gaming)
    - uses: Xbox One (X later), Nintendo Switch, Sky Q, Prime/Netflix
    - budget: can push to £1,500 but will have to be the right decision!

I guess the key questions are:
    - Is the EF950V better than the XE9005?
    - Will the XE9005 suffice when I get an Xbox One X?
    - Am I better off getting a budget set & then paying for a 'HDR ready' (like XE9005) later on?
    - If I do go for budget set what am I best looking at?

I appreciate that most of this comes down to my appetite, but any views, opinions, info etc would be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Glanv

2. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    When you will buy the XBOX One X maybe in the market will be the 2018 TVs.

In your shoes I would wait the Las Vegas CES where will be displayed the new TVs before take decision.

Dates and Hours - CES 2018

3. Glanv

Glanv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Angelo M

I am waiting for the X to come down in price - I bought the Xbox One on launch day & was gutted that it shot down by a few hundred a year later! Don't want rush in again! Also, I am playing the Switch more at the moment.

Thing is, I don't have a TV in the cave at all at present & would like to get something set up so i don't hog the main TV in the lounge (or send the missus to the cave to watch E!). Do you know how good my EF950v is for HDR?

4. TechGen

TechGen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Replace the main TV with a LG B7. There is literally no better TV to go with a XBOX One X.

5. Glanv

Glanv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TechGen, but if I was to get the B7 it would be in the lounge & I'd put the EF950V in the den. Also, I don't yet have an Xbox One X.

Anyway.....had a think & given that I will be using just the Switch & the Xbox One with a bit of Sky Q here & there, I will go with the cheaper option for now & upgrade when I get an Xbox One X in a year or so. Also, I am more than happy with the EF950V in the lounge so no real need to upgrade that. So, if I was looking at a budget of £650, & bearing in mind I have £250 of Currys vouchers, my choices are down to:

Sony KD55XE7002 / KD55XE7002 - £529 / £619
    Sony KD49XE8396 - £628
    Sony KD49XE7073 / KD55XE7073 - £539 / £629
    Sony KD49XE8004 - £629
    Sony KD49XE8077 - £649
    Hisense H55N6800 - £649
    LG 49SJ810V - £579
    LG 55UJ701V - £579
    Panasonic TX-50EX700B - £569
    Panasonic TX-55EX580B - £569

Appreciate it is quite a long list, but if anyone can provide an input that would be great! Even if I was able to whittle down the list of Sony sets that would be a good start (I seem to have it in my head that the higher model numbers aren't necessarily better).

Many thanks

Glanv

6. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    You already own an LG OLED. What makes you think having one of those budget TVs is going to be a better option than moving the older OLED in to your cave and grabbing the B7 for your living room?

I personally think you we're on the right track originally, Sony XE9005 for your man cave for adequate HDR gaming.

But I certainly wouldn't get a budget TV for HDR gaming as its going to look awful.

Then again, what are you currently using in your cave and have you considered just upgrading to a capable HDR model when you have more HDR sources?

8. Glanv

Glanv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for rather delayed reply Dodgexander, I have been working away a lot.

I don't have anything in the 'cave' at the moment, so looking to get something. I have held off (largely as I have been away), so I am thinking I might hang on & either upgrade the lounge (maybe to a 65" LG OLED as the price seems to be down to £2.5k!) & move the EF950v to the cave, or save a bit of a dosh & go for the XE9005 at circa £0.9k. I'd also like to upgrade my AVR in the lounge so the XE9005 might be the better option!

Do you have any views on what the EF905v is like for HDR?

Cheers!

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    It has HDMI 2.0a and a wide colour gamut so in terms of how it will cope with HDR, reasonably well. Very impressive for an older model considering many HDR tv's sold now don't even feature those.

It may not look as good as the XE9005 with HDR but it will look a hell of a lot better than a lesser tv I'm sure.