Help choosing Subwoofer for home theater Polk Audio HTS 10 or Klipsch R-100SW

mhweb

Standard Member
I'm planning to build a home theater sound system with the Yamaha RV-V685, and I think I'm going to go with these speakers:
Polk Audio Signature Series S10 Speakers x 4
Polk Audio Signature Series S30 Center x 1

However, I have doubts about the subwoofer. I know that I should buy something more expensive, but my budget for this is around $400 (US). The subwoofer, I picked was the Polk Audio HTS 10 to match the speakers set, but not everything I read is very good, so I would like to know if anyone have any experience or know someone who had good results. Should I go with the Klipsch Subwoofer Klipsch R-100SW? Anything wrong with a different brand for subwoofer?

Thanks,

Gasp3621

I'm planning to build a home theater sound system with the Yamaha RV-V685, and I think I'm going to go with these speakers:
Polk Audio Signature Series S10 Speakers x 4
Polk Audio Signature Series S30 Center x 1

However, I have doubts about the subwoofer. I know that I should buy something more expensive, but my budget for this is around $400 (US). The subwoofer, I picked was the Polk Audio HTS 10 to match the speakers set, but not everything I read is very good, so I would like to know if anyone have any experience or know someone who had good results. Should I go with the Klipsch Subwoofer Klipsch R-100SW? Anything wrong with a different brand for subwoofer?

Thanks,
Are you limited with the size of front main speakers? Amazon.com has S15 cheaper than the smaller S10. S15 also shares same drivers with S30 and personally i would opt for the slightly larger model for main speakers. But if you are restricted size wise, then forget it.

HTS 12 on 382$ offer now which is still bit high, reading AVSF the price has been as low as 199-299$ when on sale so wait BF if you want this. Definitely HTS 12 over 10!

Mark H. has heard many subs over the years and he liked this Polk.

One thing i need to remind you is the upcoming BLACK FRIDAY! Seeing how popular the Polks are in Amazon there could be further discounts that day. Also you will find that other brands like SVS will have great BF sales, you just need to be fast... I would assume PB1000 could be at your reach with 400$ on that day.

As you live in US you also get the goodies with SVS.

If you wait till Black Friday keep on eye for Monolith 10 THX which should go on sale (Amazon or their site) on BF. Past sales has been around 400$. Performance wise this and SVS are your best bets.

mhweb

Standard Member
Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time. I'm actually waiting for Black Friday, I just wanted to make sure what to look for in advanced.
Thanks,

mhweb

Standard Member
@Gasp3621 Out of curiosity, what do you think about the Polk speakers? Do you know if they are the same or better than the Klipsch R-41M? I ask because I've reading a lot of people saying good things about the klipsch.

Gasp3621

@Gasp3621 Out of curiosity, what do you think about the Polk speakers? Do you know if they are the same or better than the Klipsch R-41M? I ask because I've reading a lot of people saying good things about the klipsch.
No idea sadly as they are mostly popular in US. But yes i have read some real life comparisons and the Polks are really good speakers. Check out your PM (letter in right up), will send you something to read.

gibbsy

Klipsch and Polk are both very popular in your neck of the woods, not so much in the UK. The Klipsch have a Marmite look about them, you either love it or hate it. You should really try and audition both and let your ears decide. All members can do is recommend speakers, but that's all it is, a recommendation. How they perform for you in your room and with the connected equipment only you can decide.

On their easy to drive abilities and some of the outstanding reviews they have had I personally would lean towards Klipsch.