Question Help choosing speakers to be placed in a wall system media unit

Nilanth

Hey Guys,

I am in need of some advice on behalf of my brother...(I am only getting involved because I love demo'ing and hearing speakers :) )

He is having a wall system/media unit built. It is a unit that will be wall to wall and ceiling to ceiling with the TV being in the center.

He has opted for a 2.1 setup for now with the speakers being of the bookshelf type which will be placed in compartments in the media unit being either side of the tv ideally at ear height. (I've attached a pic of similar wall system to the one he is having built.)

I'm struggling to find reviews of speakers that work well within tight spaces.

The budget is from £500 to £1500 and the room size is 5.33m by 4.20m. The main sources of sound will be Netflix, Sky q, Spotify and downloaded movies. Teh AV receiver is an Arcam one, fairly old (I will update the model ref as and when I obtain it)

Any help/advice/thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tv.PNG
    tv.PNG
    335.6 KB · Views: 57

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As he's going to keep his Arcam, please make sure he has calculated the depth of the amp including an extra 50mm for speaker and interconnect leads. It's usually a mistake that is easily forgotten. Also make sure he has enough height for cooling, Arcam don't tend to like being confined in small places.

As for the depth, if your brother has already sorted this correctly, the the depth will be quite healthy as that should give around 450mm - 600mm depth depending upon which amp it is which should house many smallish speakers without to much hassle.

I would suggest maybe looking at the Apex series as the the A10's usually work well with Arcam products. They are also front ported which will help in this type of setup. As he is using a subwoofer, I would also add that the subwoofer has a High Level input as for a 2.1 solution, will enable to the amp to produce a better 2 channel experience (Run it in Direct mode). You can then tailor the bass to suit the speakers via the woofers own settings.

The woofer I have shown is quite large an may not be in keeping with the room, but tiny woofers like the Rel T-Zero are compact together with a prestigious look/finish/feel without sacrificing much on performance

Nilanth

Thanks for the advice Shane and very apt it is. When I had my media unit made I did not take into account space for the connections at the back. Luckily I was able to remove the big knobs from the Denon AV receiver otherwise I would have had to have a new unit made :eek:

I've got the sub section covered and with a Velodyne SPL800i. Small form factor but a powerhouse.

I see the apex are satellite speakers. Would rear ported ones not be suitable? Or would it really be dependent on how far away the back wall is?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Glad you've got the sub sorted with a Velodyne. As you are going to be placing the speakers close to the wall, then front ported or even sealed ones will work better than rear ported speakers. I feel with what you have mentioned, the Apex are one of the best options and with the Velodyne with its high level input will enable you to create a storming almost floorstanding speaker sound. Remember these speaker use technology from Monitor Audio's Gold GS range, yes they've been around for a while, but why change something that isn't broken.

Nilanth

How would you say the Apex's compare to B&W m1's?
I'm towards the sub sat format you've recommended now.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
How would you say the Apex's compare to B&W m1's?
I'm towards the sub sat format you've recommended now.
They're another level, but the cost also show's that. If you want to know what level they are at, the tweeter is taken from the Monitor Audio Gold GS series, the mid-range driver is also a development from the same range.

They have been around quite a long time, but that's not a bad thing as they still sound exceptionally good and really don't have much competition when you combine all their qualities. The A40's are better than the A10 which can also be used as left and right channel speakers if you are wishing to max your audio experience from the Apex range but are not really book shelf speakers. Whats more if they can be mounted flush on the wall which could also improve the aesthetics of the room

Nilanth

For the A40's to be used as L & R I presume the should be mounted vertically?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Yeah, that’s right, they even come with their own fixing brackets

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I can confirm that MA isn´t going to update these for while either which to me would be something i would want to be sure.

Here is picture of member @sanjualf ass kicking Apex A40 system! Apex owners thread has over 20pages and more happy owners.. :)

sanjualf

that does look epic!

They are something special indeed. Sound fantastic. The woofers do have the same technology being the more expensive Silver speakers. The quality of the build is very good and heavy. You cannot stand mount them. They are only wall mountable. Comes with their own wall mounts and they will be flush fit in the wall. Also the mounts allow you to tow in them as well.
They will need a Sub to pair with them.
The grills are magnetic. They look much nicer when the grills are off showing the woofers and the tweeter.

Sanjay

Nilanth

So on the weekend I will be demoing the below speakers and i am very very excited. Even though non of this is for me I am excited.

• Fyne Audio f500
  • Focal 906
  • B&W 607
  • Revel Concerta M16
Are there any owners for the above who could perhaps give any opinions or ideas of a matching AV receiver? Denon, Marantz, Sony etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom