Help choosing speakers for an Onkyo 605 (hopefully!)

NewMan

Hi everybody.

Been reading here for a while, but am hopefully finally about to take the plunge into the world of REAL AV fun, and have set my heart on the Onkyo 605, mainly due to the reviews here.

I currently have a "kiddie" AV system in my lounge. A Samsung 40' LCD (Sorry, the exact model escapes me at the moment, but it was bought for around £1500 just over a year ago), and a Panasonic 5.1 surround system (again, no idea what model, but it doesn't matter)... No HD DVD of any format as yet, but have an XBox360, XBox (modded and wired to the PC for streaming video etc), PS2, DVD Recorder, Sky+ and, dare I say it... VCR... :eek:

I have just separated from the wife, and one of the things I was never allowed to do was spend money on things "we don't need". As such, to assert my independence, the aforementioned 605 will be bought (money considerations taken into account), and I am looking to find a good set of 5.1 speakers, preferably floor-standing for the L & R Front, and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for an almost complete AV noob. I'm not even sure if I'll know the difference between a low-grade set of speakers and a top of the line set, so if I want to go into a shop to listen to them, any pointers on what I should look out for?

Also, since buying the Onkyo will pretty much wipe out one months or more suplly of spare cash, would my current satellites (rated at, I believe, 65 or 75W) suffice for the time being, or would they be blown instantly by this beast of an amp?

Apologies for the various questions here, I'll wager they'll have most likely been answered before, but I didn't know what to search for.

Thanks in advance for getting me started on this journey.

dan_993

Standard Member
I'm in exactly the same position as you (without the marital problems, sorry......but I may have when she finds out how much I want to spend! It'll be this :eek:, shortly followed by this:mad: then finally:hiya:) I'm also pretty much a complete noob when it comes to at amps, receivers and stuff.
I'm planning on getting the 605 with a 1080p projector and maybe the Mordaunt short Alumni 5.1 speakers. They look great but I think they're pretty new and haven't been reviewed. Judging from the posts on this forum the KEF 3005's seem to be really popular.

NewMan

Glad to know I'm not the only one in despair. :hiya:

The KEF floor standing range look really good, and from what I understand are amazing to hear. Or course, until my ears are trained in this mystical dark art I see people possess on this forum, I won't know any better.

My main point is, for me to buy a really nice set of speakers, it'll probably involve a couple months of buying a couple at a time, but I REALLY want the Onkyo and an HD-DVD player NOW... I would like to know if my current speakers could handle the output from the new receiver or if they'd blow instantly and I'll be left with nothing to listen to. :(

Harry T2

Novice Member
Or course, until my ears are trained in this mystical dark art I see people possess on this forum, I won't know any better.

The best why they can be trained is listening to music you really know (or thought you knew). When you find a piece of kit that appeals to you, the nuances and transients that you didn't know exist, all of a suuden add a whole new layer to the music.

My main point is, for me to buy a really nice set of speakers, it'll probably involve a couple months of buying a couple at a time, but I REALLY want the Onkyo and an HD-DVD player NOW... I would like to know if my current speakers could handle the output from the new receiver or if they'd blow instantly and I'll be left with nothing to listen to. :(

I don't know the connection on the end of you current system, but I would think they would be fine (up to a non-silly limit). You will not fry them instantly, but would perform adequately to almost the extreme limits of the amp.

Disco and concert level are out of bounds. Normal listening level will be fine.

I think the Q Acoustics range is probably a good place to look for speakers(when you are ready).

NewMan

Thanks for the advice Harry. :thumbsup:

I'll keep that in mind, and carry some music around with me if I go speaker shopping... I'm sure my musical tastes won't offend too many shop assistants ears. :D

As for my current speakers, they are connected using regular speaker wires with the "easy clip" contacts. Except for the sub, which IIRC has its own dedicated "weird-looking" connection to the AV Receiver. Looks like the sub will have to be my first speaker purchase. lol...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom