Help choosing Skybox for FSFS

howardg

Standard Member
Hi. I am currently using an older SD Skybox with SCART connections (Panasonic TU-DSB31) to receive FTA channels having cancelled Sky several years ago. I only have a single cable attached to my dish. I am about to upgrade my TV which only has HDMI ports. I am looking to buy a used Skybox and want the best available in terms of performance and reliability. (The Panasonic has worked flawlessly for years its just obsolete).

I believe that the two last Skybox models are the DRX595L and the DRX895WL. Will either work for FSFS? I realise the DRX595L has no PVR facility but will it work for FSFS? If neither of these will work as FSFS boxes, perhaps due to the latest software, which of the the later boxes will?

Thanks for any advice.

Fred Smith

I would not get hung up on model numbers, there are loads of Sky boxes available from free upwards (just ignore Q and mini boxes as they belong to Sky). Even if you get a PVR model of Sky box you do not need to access the recording facility unless wanted, which ideally would require a second cable from the LNB (or maybe a new LNB if the existing is single output). However if the additional recording function was required and if it is still available from Sky? It would require the princely sum of £10 a month to utilise this feature, £120 a year and ongoing (see below).

Alternately a Freesat box will offer most of the channels a FSFS card offers as the card only currently adds about four encrypted channels and the number has been decreasing over the years.

There are two models of Freesat non PVR boxes are available for £49 and £150. PVR versions from £199, but see the threads in the Satellite forum for issues with these dearer boxes.

Models, prices and seller are for examples only not recommendations.

logiciel

There’s no point in using a Sky machine when Freesat ones are made for your purpose.

howardg

Standard Member
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just thought the skybox option would be cheaper, especially if bought used and I would still be able to access all the FTA channels.

There’s no point in using a Sky machine when Freesat ones are made for your purpose.
A Freesat box only has on irs EPG the channels that pay to be on it (that means no Channel 4 HD) - a Sky box has all the FTA channels on its EPG (unfortunately with all the subscription ones as well but you can select 50 channels for a seperate "Favourites" EPG

Fred Smith

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just thought the skybox option would be cheaper, especially if bought used and I would still be able to access all the FTA channels.

It can be, I got one for free. But it is not necessarily the best option going forward.

Note it's a Sky box. Skybox is a name used by some FTA receivers.

logiciel

Quite right, as FS says possibly free, and as dm2 says including loads of useless channels.
But a smaller neater FS machine is a better option.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Quite a few TVs have satellite inputs these days for FTA Sat, what TVs are you considering?

TJT1

OK, a slight curve ball, but why not just consider the absolutely free terrestrial Freeview TV.
Every TV on sale in UK has a Freeview receiver, but you do need a TV antenna (aerial).
Depending on your location, you might just get away with an indoor aerial.

howardg

Standard Member
Thanks all. I am considering a TV with Freesat built-in. I have heard that the quality of the integrated receivers tend not to be as good as the dedicated boxes. I am not sure which TV to buy. I want a 65” but I dont think I need to go the cost of an OLED so I am hovering around the £500 - £700 but not sure if I need the extra benefits of the TVs at the more expensive end of my proposed spend. I am really behind the technological AV curve. I have been happy with my SD Sky Box and 50” Sony DLP TV which has developed a fault. A new TV would take up less room if nothing else. I am not a gamer so I dont know if I would gain much benefit from higher refresh rates and HDMI 2.1 ( I am comparing for example LG models from £599 to £849).

Fred Smith

Thanks all. I am considering a TV with Freesat built-in. I have heard that the quality of the integrated receivers tend not to be as good as the dedicated boxes. I am not sure which TV to buy. I want a 65” but I dont think I need to go the cost of an OLED so I am hovering around the £500 - £700 but not sure if I need the extra benefits of the TVs at the more expensive end of my proposed spend. I am really behind the technological AV curve. I have been happy with my SD Sky Box and 50” Sony DLP TV which has developed a fault. A new TV would take up less room if nothing else. I am not a gamer so I dont know if I would gain much benefit from higher refresh rates and HDMI 2.1 ( I am comparing for example LG models from £599 to £849).

Don't know where you heard that about integrated vs external boxes but I can't see the difference on my TV.

HDMI 2.1 currently only applies to the very latest games consoles, nothing else apart from a few TV's currently supports it, HDMI 2.0 and lower work fine works fine.

logiciel

why not just consider the absolutely free terrestrial Freeview TV.
Why not indeed. I have FS or free satellite on my TV but never use them.

Fred Smith

With the demise of COM 7 / 8, satellite offers viewers to opportunity to view some channels no longer available on Terrestrial TV in transmission areas affected.

It also gives local ITV 1 news in HD in some regions. My ITV region gives me (South) East news on terrestrial and Thames Valley (Berkshire and North Hampshire) on satellite.

So having access to both services I get the opportunity to view what I want mainly in HD, with Ch4HD available on terrestrial.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom