1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing please.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marjrie, Oct 4, 2005.

1. marjrie

marjrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a technical type at all, we need a new tv, mostly we watch television and the occasional DVD. We have a normal ariel and NTL box, the way it is at the momement this all goes to a box in the loft, so that other tv's in the house run from it?
    Do not particularly want to have to get surround sound (even though I know it sounds better) but where the tv will be situated it would mean lifting new carpet to hide the wires, some being across doorways!
    We have a budget of about £1,800.
    Is it very expensive to get someone in to set up the whole thing, we live in Surrey where everything seems expensive.
    Any suggestions on what plasma to go for would be very gratefully received.

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    depends on what size youre after if you want 42" then for a budget of £1800 that means you cant get the Panny/Pioneer. You could get the Samsung :rolleyes: if you liked it or if youre happy to go with 37" then I would suggest 37pv500 as Im sure you can get that within your budget. That will blow pretty much everything else out of the water Picture wise :eek:

3. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For starters you could get 42" PE50 Panny for well under that amount, and i should imagine enough change to pay someone to set it up.

4. marjrie

marjrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the look of the 42" PE50 panasonic, would setting it up be just the same as a normal TV?

5. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    sorry I took it on the basis that you wanted HD, but yeah if SD is fine then the 42" PE50 would be a good bet. Yes in many ways but you just need to take a little care for the first 100 hours.

6. marjrie

marjrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the setting up of the 42" PE50? I don't know the first thing about cables and stuff, like rgb and component?
    Don't mean a thing to me?
    Would it be better to pay for installation, I just want it on it's own cabinet stand, not wall mounted or anything!

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    The PE50 range is just like any normal TV, so when you plug the aerial in, it will auto tune all the freeview channels for you. Then its just a case of plugging in your DVD player and NTL box, and you are good to go.

The full cabinet stand that comes with the PE50 is flat pack, but is very well made, and easy to put together. It took me around 45 minutes to put it together, taking my time and doing it slowly.

Depending where you are in Surrey, you may find a member who would be willing to come and help you. I would certainly be willing if you were reasonably local. I wouldn't pay for installation on this type of TV.

8. marjrie

marjrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I think the thing to do will be make our choice of tv, then when it is delivered try and do it ourselves, by connecting it the way our old tv is already done.
    We have an old sony 32" (about 8 yrs now) and the one thing we like is that when the picture does not fit the screen, one of the options for screen size is "smart" and it fits it for you (already said we are not technically minded) do you know if the panasonic does this?

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Yes it does. But to be honest, I think most TV's do these days as well :)