Answered Help choosing new 4K set. £500 budget.

ElGeeEighty8

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

Looking to get a new 4K set. At the moment I’ve got a 46” toshiba 3D tv. Never use 3D now, and the tv has developed 2 bright spots to the right of the screen which can be noticed in light scenes.

My budget is limited to around £500. Max size for my lounge is around 50” to 55”. TV is mostly used for tv, films and gaming on a PS4 (potentially a pro in the future) and will look into a 4K blu ray player. I know I’m not going to get decent HDR from a set in this budget.

I know sound won’t be amazing, so would look for a decently cheap sound bar.

Here’s what I’ve seen -
SAMSUNG UE50MU6120, 50 Smart Certified Ultra HD 4K HDR LED TV with TVPlus tuner & Built-in Wi-Fi
TX-50EX700B | Panasonic 4K Ultra HD LED TV | 50” | ao.com
Hisense 50 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart ULED TV Freeview Play
Sony 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview HD
LG 49SJ800V, 49 Smart Ultra HD 4K LED TV with webOS 3.5, Freeview HD and Freesat HD & Built-In Wi-Fi
SAMSUNG UE49MU7000, 49 Smart Certified Ultra HD 4K HDR LED TV with TVPlus tuner & Built-in Wi-Fi - silver bezel
LG 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
LG 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
Hisense 50 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play

Attached is my viewing distance. Around 2 meters.

Will look to change my stand and have some trunking running down from the tv to a new unit.

Have been leaning towards the hisense n6800 due to its cost. And being able to put the extra money saved towards a sound bar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
looks like you may need to move the stat if you go bigger(is it wiereless?).
You might be able to squeeze 60" on that wall.

I think I would look at the 55"/58" options even if refurbs and weigh them up against the new set options with longer warranty and slightly better stats at 49"/50".

Panasonic outlet have 4 58EX700B under £480.

looks like you may need to move the stat if you go bigger(is it wiereless?).
You might be able to squeeze 60" on that wall.

I think I would look at the 55"/58" options even if refurbs and weigh them up against the new set options with longer warranty and slightly better stats at 49"/50".

Panasonic outlet have 4 58EX700B under £480.

Typically the thermostat is not wireless, have tried taking it off the wall but no it gets stuck. Even though it's battery operated! I don't mind having it behind the tv providing I can get behind it.

Looking more at RGBdirect for the TV's as they do buy now pay in 12months which is handy. Are they any good? Any similar other finance deals like this elsewhere that I'm missing out?

That Stat will come off but be careful the wiring could be 240v.

looks like CM700/900 series programmable worth keeping unless you want to go smart then there are relatively cheap wireless replacements
be a pain hidden behind the TV if you want to change anything on the stat.

Have a think about the budget with a 5y warranty £500 works out at £1.92pw bargain entertainment.

That Stat will come off but be careful the wiring could be 240v.

looks like CM700/900 series programmable worth keeping unless you want to go smart then there are relatively cheap wireless replacements
be a pain hidden behind the TV if you want to change anything on the stat.

Have a think about the budget with a 5y warranty £500 works out at £1.92pw bargain entertainment.

Ignore the tear in the paper, it feels pretty stuck on! I dare pull up anymore.

I’ll have a look on richer sounds and rgb for their deals. I enjoy and hate looking for a new tv.

Rgb had an offer for a tv (can’t rememner which one) with a 4K blu ray tagged on for £99 too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65
Due to perhaps needing some new furniture think I’m going to have to lower myself a little bit. As i’ll want a 4K player and a new stand.

Seen the Samsung 50MU6120 for £380 and the Hisense 50N5800 for £400.
Seen the 58” variant of the Samsung in curry’s and it looked good. Only hisense I’ve seen in a shop is the new 55U7A models. Which looked good. But worth an extra £200?

I'm guessing you mean the Hisense 50N6800?

The Hisense N6800 is only better than the Samsung with picture quality with a HDR source. Something that may mean something in the future to you with a PS4 pro or even HDR games on the standard PS4.

However both these TVs are very bottom of the range models so you should not expect either of them to be good with HDR.

The new Hisense U7A models are a cross between the NU8700 and N6800. At smaller sizes they are closer to the N6800 and at larger sizes the NU8700.

Given the prices you can get I'd say the Hisense N6800 is the best bet, worth the extra over the Samsung MU61.

Btw the Samsung model has many names for the same TV. MU6120 is only one variant https://pricespy.co.uk/search?q=50mu6

After seeing this thread I'd be interested to know what the Hisense H50A6200 is...? I just bought an H50N6800, and it's a fantastic TV, the only feature difference I'd like from the former over the latter is the app functionality... I wonder if it could be a software upgrade? I have no idea what the difference in picture would be.

After seeing this thread I'd be interested to know what the Hisense H50A6200 is...? I just bought an H50N6800, and it's a fantastic TV, the only feature difference I'd like from the former over the latter is the app functionality... I wonder if it could be a software upgrade? I have no idea what the difference in picture would be.
It doesn't have a wide colour gamut which means you don't get better colours with HDR. It also has a quad core CPU so the smart TV runs faster than the A6200.

That aside they probably use the same quality panel so will be remarkably similar, probably indistinguishable from each other with normal day to day content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom