Help choosing HDMI switch

ithorne

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any recommendation for a 2in/1out (or 3in/1out) HDMI switcher with remote if possible.

I want to be able to switch between my 5.1 DVD player, Xbox and PC (All HDMI) and my Panasonic LX70 TV

Trouble is my PC graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5670) throws its toys out the pram if it can't see the TV. So I need a switch that pretends something is connected even when the TV is actually showing another input (Would this be the EDID I see mentioned around here?)

Does the team have any ideas. I tried to look around myself but just got confused.com

Other than some very expensive Matrix gear (with on-board EDID management) you'll need to look for an EDID grabber plus a switch – or change the graphics card.

The EDID grabber will cost around 120.00 GBP and lives between the Graphics Card and the Input side of the Switch - Gefen, LLC - HDMI Detective Plus

There are lots of options in terms of a suitable switch; Octava being one - 3 port HDMI switch. 3D ready Full HD 1080P. 3x1 HDMI switcher to share 3 HDMI sources with 1 HDTV for incredible HD experience.

Joe

Last edited:
Other than some very expensive Matrix gear (with on-board EDID management) you’ll need to look for an EDID grabber plus a switch – or change the graphics card.

The EDID grabber will cost around 120.00 GBP

Ouch. Is there no switch that outputs a signal to say "there's something there but I don't know what" - i will be much cheaper to change the graphics card at this rate.

So a 50.00 GBP Switch that includes a x 120.00 GBP EDID grabber for free - sounds good; I'll ask Gefen to launch that unit :D

Joe

Are there any recommendation for a 2in/1out (or 3in/1out) HDMI switcher with remote if possible.

I want to be able to switch between my 5.1 DVD player, Xbox and PC (All HDMI) and my Panasonic LX70 TV

Trouble is my PC graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5670) throws its toys out the pram if it can't see the TV. So I need a switch that pretends something is connected even when the TV is actually showing another input (Would this be the EDID I see mentioned around here?)

Does the team have any ideas. I tried to look around myself but just got confused.com

Got this problem myself ....did you resolve it and how?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom