Help choosing first AV receiver?

colbags

Standard Member
Hello, I need to buy an av reciver for my lounge as I am re-decorating and wish to mount my samsung 42"plasma tv on the wall. I don't have much of a budget so any suggestions as to which AV receiver to buy for around £250 will be of very good use to me. I have seen the SONY STRDG820 for around that price. Is this a good one as they all look the same to me?

thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The 820 was and still is a very popular model. It is in short supply though as it is about to be superceded by the newer STR-DH800 model which is available at play and stoneaudio for around £280.

Do you have a bluray player? What other equipment do you have to connect? What speakers do you have or do you plan on buying?

colbags

Standard Member
I am planning on buying new components. All my stuff is well before blueray was invented. Is the STR-DH800 out now and is it worth the extra cash.
Are there any other AV recievers worth looking at in the same price range?
Also, can you suggest some good budget priced surround sound speakers.
thanks again

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The Sony isn't out yet but is expected this month. Others at this pricepoint with similar features inc. the new Yamaha 465 and Onkyo 507. I would always avoid the bottom-of-the-range amps. The ones I mentioned all are about as futureproof as you can get at the moment. Speakers at the budget level would include Canton (see speakers powerbuy), Jamo HCS5 A102, Q-Acoustics, Wharfedale, Mordaunt Short and Kef 1005. Do you have a Superfi, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks or independent HiFi/AV dealer nearby so they can demonstrate them to you and hopefully you will get a better appreciation of the differences for yourself?

If you study the first 2 or 3 pages, you will also find similar threads as this question comes up on a daily basis.

If you're buying online, I can recommend Quantumelectronics, Creative-Audio and RoyJowettHomeCinema who all do packages.

colbags

Standard Member
Just seen the Onkyo HT-C5115 Home Theatre Package,sounds good to me and richer sounds just down the road for a demo (maybe). Am I likely to notice the difference in sound quality enough to consider getting a package with jamo speakers instead of the onkyo ones?

Yamaha AV 63 Home Theatre Package also a maybe but not enough hdmi me thinks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
For £250 I would recommend the Cambridge Audio 540R. This is a great sounding amp for the money and it also has analogue inputs so with the right BD player (if you wish to buy one) you can also get HD sound formats.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Sony isn't out yet but is expected this month. Others at this pricepoint with similar features inc. the new Yamaha 465 and Onkyo 507. I would always avoid the bottom-of-the-range amps. The ones I mentioned all are about as futureproof as you can get at the moment. Speakers at the budget level would include Canton (see speakers powerbuy), Jamo HCS5 A102, Q-Acoustics, Wharfedale, Mordaunt Short and Kef 1005. Do you have a Superfi, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks or independent HiFi/AV dealer nearby so they can demonstrate them to you and hopefully you will get a better appreciation of the differences for yourself?

If you study the first 2 or 3 pages, you will also find similar threads as this question comes up on a daily basis.

If you're buying online, I can recommend Quantumelectronics, Creative-Audio and RoyJowettHomeCinema who all do packages.

I should point out that the other new amps in the same price range as the Sony STRDH800 are only 5.1 receivers while the STRDH800 is 7.1. This may not be of much significance on its own if you only intend using any of the amps for powering 5 speakers plus a sub, but the STRDH800 also has the ability to use the spare 2 rear speaker outputs to bi-amp front bi-wirable speakers with. This feature is usually only found on more expensive 7.1 amps and receivers. If the STRDG820 is anything to go by, I'd only rate the new Yamaha RXV465 as being a better sounding unit in comparison to what you can expect from the STRDH800. It should also be noted that all the other new entry level HD audio enabled amps are all more expensive than the Sony unit, even before the STRDH800 is even available to buy. The Sony should have a srp of £350, but you can already pre order one for £280 (Stone Audio, Play.com). None of the other receivers have yet been offered for anything less than £300.

Like its predecessor, the Sony STRDH800 is looking to be a real bargain ;)

Richer Sounds are now quoting a £300 price for the STRDH800, but they've a price matching policy that promises to beat any other price by at least £10. The STRDH800 is available to pre order for less than £280 from several places. If the situation remains the same and the prices don't increase, Richer Sounds will need to further reduce their price in order to honour their price promise.

Last edited:

mr starface

I can highly recommend the Jamo's but then you already know that :D

I looked at the 820 receiver as well but its in very short supply now, the STRDH800 looks excellent for the price so that would be my suggestion mate as its good for future proofing too.

If your fitting your Samsung on the wall the you can pop round and do mine as well - free drinks provided :smashin:

Tone-uk

I'd recommend the Marantz sr4002 for £260. Less features than the Sony but, better performance IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom