Help choosing between OLED's

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by marios50, Aug 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. marios50

marios50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,

I currently have a 40" Samsung 4K which has a low budget HDR and I am wanting to upgrade to something nice.

I've done researched and landed on the Sony XF90 for a non OLED TV which I would also afford to get a sound bar to go with it. However I am more keen on an OLED.

My options at the moment are the LG C8 or the Sony AF8. (Both 55")

My budget stretches out at the C8 price but it seems the AF8 is more expensive. It does provide better sound which might work for me as I'm unlikely to grab a soundbar with the c8 at the same time I buy it. It also has better motion processing but I've never understood if it's THAT much better than the LG, for example, would it make a huge difference when watching football? As that's pretty much all the sports I watch.

Primary usage : Watching UHD content , PS4 Pro & Xbox one X , watching football.

Does anyone think the AF8 is due to drop closer to the £2000 mark in September?

Appreciate any opinions on the matter.

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    LG B7 is £1300. I’d get that and a sound bar.

3. marios50

marios50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That is also an option but since it will be a month until I'll be ready to make the purchase, I doubt my local retailers will have any stock left. If they do I will consider it highly.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I’d ask if you can reserve one and get it delivered when it suits you. It’s stunning value. Or consider this one - Panasonic TX55EZ952B

5. marios50

marios50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think there is no Dolby Vision support on the panasonic but I'll keep an eye on the B7 stock.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    Arguable as to what value DV adds. But if you want it then it’s LG or bust

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    When are you planning to buy? Potentially buying at the wrong time can cost a few ££ss.

I would (if using integrated sound) probably wait for the right deal on the Sony AF8 or A1 or go for the LG B7/C7 with a sound bar.

8. marios50

marios50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm planning on buying mid/late September. That's why I'm hoping the AF8 will drop down to £1900-2000 as that's the maximum I can do at the moment. I see it around £2200-2400 depending on which website I check so I am hoping for a September drop in price.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Its plausible if still available it will drop in price since a new AF9 model is being released soon. Maybe the AF8 will drop too.

But even at £2000 you have to debate its value compared to the LG B7+a Soundbar.

10. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    As an AF8 owner I can't recommend it highly enough. However, i'd also second the opinion that if you can find a cheap LG screen from last year's range that'd probably be the 'wisest' choice...IF you're letting your head do the talking rather than your heart that is. Whilst they're not quite as impressive as the Sony, there's not THAT much difference & you'll still be pretty blown away I reckon.

In many aspects the screens are pretty much the same, but I can definitely confirm that the motion on the Sony is quite a step up. That's always been my most important factor, so if that's where your priorities lie as well, that's...something to consider.

11. marios50

marios50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

True. I will have to assess the B7 option once I am ready to make the purchase and if there is still stock.

I've been looking into the C8 vs AF8 thing for awhile now and it seems it's all about the motion. I will have to wait until mid September and hop down to see them in person to make a decision.