Help choosing an AV amp for Yamaha MusicCast or something completely different

Planet__

I used to use a pretty good (albeit old now!) AV system comprising of a Pioneer AX5i AV amp, Mission speakers all round and a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A. I say used to because the Pioneer AX5i amp gradually failed on it's digital inputs but I muddled through. Then we moved house and decided to retire the failing AX5i and the speakers to get something family friendly, wouldn't need running cables for surround etc.

So I bought the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 soundbar with it's wireless subwoofer and a pair of Yamaha MusicCast 20 wireless speakers for surround duty. To say it's crap would be an understatement The soundbar is the main failing; muffled, cloudly, undefined and too quiet would be my best description. So disappointed. I knew I shouldn't have expected a soundbar setup to compare to a proper 5.1 setup but I bought in hope. Nope.

So, how do I improve things from this? The new Yamaha RX-V6A AV amp is very tempting as I can utilise the MusicCast 20 wireless speakers and the MusicCast SUB 100 from the soundbar package, but not the soundbar itself according to Yamaha (weird I know). I'd have to get a low profile centre speaker such as a Polk and bring my Mission floor standers out of retirement for the fronts. Then again I could get the older Yamaha RX-A1080 or RX-A2080 and do the same with MusicCast, or wait for Yamaha's next Aventage range. Or sell the Yamaha gear at a loss and try something else.

As you can probably tell I'm a bit undecided, help!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom